Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can anybody tell me the difference between CL2 and CL2.5

• Please log in to reply

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I am looking for some information. I recently ordered some memory for an old computer that I have to upgrade and use as an extra. It uses PC2100 CL2 memory among others. I ordered the PC 2100 because it was much cheeper of course. I received it yesterday and installed it and it didn't work. I couldn't even get any POST beeps. The only difference that I could find was that it was PC2100 CL2.5 memory. The memory that was currently in the computer was PC2100 CL2. Is there a difference between CL2 and CL2.5 memory? I have no way to testing it for DOA. Thanks for your help in advance.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The CL referers to the CAS latency or the timing of the RAM. Most boards are not picky about the timings with the exception of ECS which tends to nit-pick with RAM. Remove all sticks except for the new stick you have bought. If you don't get a post using only your new stick of RAM I would RMA it.

When a timing is specified for a particular CAS Latency (e.g. CL3 = 5.0 ns, CL2.5 = 6.0 ns), that indicates the clock speed at which that CL is supported. In this example, the RAM could support CL3 at 200 MHz or CL2.5 at 166 MHz. Most RAM supports multiple clock speeds, with varying performance, hence this notation.

Edited by Titan8990, 02 October 2007 - 10:30 AM.

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I did that and got the same result. Why does it not want to give any post beeps? Shouldn't it especially if it doesn't like the RAM?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I find that 90% of the time when RAM is actually dead there are no beep codes. Typically the computer will boot up as usuall and will give no display. RAM has been the componant that has failed on me the most. It is the only componant I have ever recieved DOA as well.

Edited by Titan8990, 02 October 2007 - 11:19 AM.

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks. I appreciate the info. It looks like it is time for an RMA.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I find that 90% of the time when RAM is actually dead there are no beep codes. Typically the computer will boot up as usuall and will give no display. RAM has been the componant that has failed on me the most. It is the only componant I have ever recieved DOA as well.

This is true but it depends on the state of the RAM and the board.
I've seen a lot of Asrock boards that beep due to bad memory regardless of its state. Ironically enough, Asrock boards almost always complain at you about bad memory, yet Asus boards often don't.
A lot of boards just don't do anything with bad RAM though, unhelpfully they just sit there and play dead.

On occasion you may find that some older computers and/or boards will not talk to faster memory. You may find it won't talk to PC3200 memory but will only talk to PC2700 or PC2100.

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I applied for the RMA and they shot an email back to me stating that they pre test all memory. They also said that I need to check to see if the board takes ECC or non ECC memory. I bought ECC and I am not sure how to find out if this board takes ECC or non ECC RAM. I don't have the manual and I can't seem to find one on line. If anybody can help it is a foxconn board, 400M01-G-6L. Can anybody help? :) What is the difference anyway?

Edited by dnrflorence, 03 October 2007 - 07:05 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
ECC stants for error-correcting code. Here is a wiki link: ECC Explained. It is rare for motherboards to accept ECC RAM. I was not able to find out if your board will accept it but it is not likely (and tested by you). It is odd that you even managed to pick some by accident... I would still try and RMA and exchange for some non-ECC. They will probably charge you a restocking fee but that is best you can do.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Foxconn 400M01-G-6L does not take ECC memory.
You can try to RMA it but you may find that they're not helpful since you've essentially bought the wrong memory and so a restocking fee (typically 20%) will be charged if you do return it.

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Yeah, I kind of expected the restocking fee. Looks like it might be time to seel some memory on ebay! :) I did e mail them and ask if I could exchange for non ECC. They have not yet responded.

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I read that article. It doesn't sound like there is much use for ecc memory in the PC world. What applications is it used for? Do you knowof any? Is there even a board out there that will accept and use it? It looks pretty useless to me.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
ECC is mainly used in servers. It is prone to less error than normal RAM. Here is an example of a server board that uses ECC RAM: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131039.