Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to change display settings

• Please log in to reply

Longjing

Longjing

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I got a very weird problem. I've spent several days on it with no luck. I could not even find a similar problem on google.

This is lenovo laptop running XP with Intel 945GM GPU. The display setting jumpped to 640x480 4nit color after reboot. The options in the display setting tab are correct, but if I change them, it always jumps back to 640x480 4 bit right away. I've removed/reinstalled video driver many times. Intel driver works fine except that the settings can't be changed. If I remove Intel driver and use XP'
s default one, the settings can be changed without a problem. Once I reinstall Intel driver, the settings are locked. Logmein had been used on this box, removing it didn't solve the problem.

Any suggestion?
Thank you in advance!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is usually caused because the driver you're installing that locks the settings isn't the right driver. Generic drivers from the Intel site are not guaranteed to work. Ideally you should use the drivers provided with the laptop or those downloadable from the laptop manufacturer website for your particular model.

Longjing

Longjing

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did use the driver made by IBM/Lenovo. I actually tried two different versions and installed/uninstalled for at least 7-8 times. The drivers do allow me to choose 1024x768 32bit colors, but it always jumps back to 640x480 4bit after clicking Apply button. I can live with the default driver, but the problem is, this driver does not allow standby, which is really a pain for a laptop.