Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

internet speed

• Please log in to reply

JAG4LIFE

JAG4LIFE

• Pip
  • 3 posts
over the last few weeks I have not been able to download over 100kbs/s most of the time I am downloading at 50kb/s it is poo cause most of the time I can get over 300kb/s. Is there anyway to see if there is a problem without phoning bt up cause that takes ages and they are dumb. olso can u get a virus to make your speed slower

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does BT give you a monthly limit, then throttle the connection if exceeded. Depending on time of day, could be the contention ratio, 50:1

What result do you get with this

http://speedcheck.ispconnect.co.uk/

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

JAG4LIFE

JAG4LIFE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Your current bandwidth reading is:

86.10kbps

which means you can download at 10.76 KB/sec. from our servers.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
86.1kbps is slow even by broadband standards. Having said that I wouldn't place much faith in that speed tester as I've just run it and apparently I'm connected at 883kbps. Which is impossible as I'm only on a 512kbps package. Use the one at adslguide.org.uk, its more reliable.

This is almost always caused by the Internet provider, however if your computer is infected with copious amounts of malware and spyware, they do send data back home using your internet connection. Enough of these will ultimately be a drain on the available bandwidth.

JAG4LIFE

JAG4LIFE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
http://www.thinkbroa...3321414395.html when I try that one

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
350kbps is more healthy but its still slow for a broadband connection.

Rather than branding your internet provider "dumb", I suggest you contact them. If you're not happy with your service, then get your MAC code and migrate away to somebody else.