Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Massive amount of hard disk space missing! Please help

• Please log in to reply

Jo Stan

Jo Stan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

I have a problem with my laptop; it's a Lenovo IBM Thinkpad version 2002 running windows xp pro, and it has an 80GB hard drive. When I right click on my C drive, it says that I've used up 68.5GB of my hard disk space. It also says that it has a 70.1GB capacity, so I have 1.6GB of storage space left. The problem is that I haven't used that much space; in fact, when I go into C drive and make sure that all files are shown, select all the files, and go into their properties, it says that the total size of all the files in C drive is only 30.5GB. Please help me out if you can tell me what's wrong.

Thanks in advance

Josh

PS: I'm using a mac skin for the computer; could this be a problem in any way?

Attached Thumbnails

• My_Computer_C.jpg
  • C_all_files___folders.jpg

Edited by Jo Stan, 03 October 2007 - 01:34 AM.

Advertisements

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
What do you see in Disk Management? What size of space does it show?
When did it begin?
May be the reason is that your motherboard is older and the bios?
Also this space could become as unallocated, you'll see it in Disk Mangement.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One problem is that when you select the files in C: you may not be selecting the hidden files. Have you enabled the show all files feature in Folder Options? You might want to do that. Also open My Computer, right click on C: and do a thorough disk cleanup. That may remove a lot of stuff. Then while you still have show all files enabled explore C: to find where some of these excess files are hidden and report back if you have any questions.

Jo Stan

Jo Stan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i have enabled the viewing of all hidden files and folders, and i have already tried disk managment. the computer is fairly new, and the problem begin when i got the laptop. at first i though it might be the usage of the installation of windows, but later on i began to get suspicious. i have also done a disc clean up and nothing seems to help. i even dfragd the drive. i think it may have something to do with a virus that gives a false instimate on how much space is used up, but i am not sure. please reply if u have herd of a virus like this.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
There are such virus's. Go to our malware forum and follow the steps posted HERE

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi Jo Stan.

Here is a free visual tool to help you identify where disk space is being used. This is pretty neat!

SequoiaView
http://w3.win.tue.nl...n/sequoiaview//

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I use TreeSize to graphically show the hard drive space. It will also show you where the space is going, and its legally free.

I believe by default that without changing options if you select it to scan your C drive that it will show you the size used, not the whole size of the drive. But there are options to change that.