Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE7 Freezes

• Please log in to reply

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I'm sure you've heard a lot of the "IE7 freezes after upgrading from IE6." The thing is, I didn't just upgrade, I've been upgraded for quite some time, and until quite recently IE7 has worked just fine. Now it freezes quite often, usually before I load more than a couple pages. It doesn't matter what webpages either. Firefox works fine.

I've run Ad-aware 2007, Spybot S&D 1.5, and the McAfee Spyware/Virus scans, and what little they found I removed (tracking cookies pretty much) but IE7 still freezes all the time. Any ideas?

I'm running Windows XP SP2, I'm pretty sure I have all the newest windows updates, and as far as I know I didn't install or uninstall anything that I can correlate with the strange behaviour of IE7.

Any help would be appreciated. While I can still do stuff with Firefox, there's obviously something wrong with the computer if IE7 is doing this and I'd like to remedy it.

Elven

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
By "freeze", what do you mean? Does it stall, then resume? Is your internet connection active? Does it give you an error message? It helps to know what it says. Does it stop completely and force you to reboot? Does any particular activity seem to trigger the behavior (a certain page, downloading, a video player) Are there any errors in the event log (Admin tools) that correspond to the freezes? Do you remember when the problem started? Was there any change of hardware/software at that time? Are there any other problems with this system? Have you run an online virus scan to be sure you haven't picked up any malware? We can help you better if you help us.
Johanna

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
By "freeze" I mean IE7 stops functioning. It "no longer responds" and forces me to close it by using the Task Manager to "End Task." It can be triggered by loading webpages (msn.com for instance), checking my e-mail watching a video, or just about anything you can think of that involves using the internet. Generally it freezes when I'm loading a regular web page, because that's what I do the most. It doesn't seem to correlate with any particular page or pages, or any type of action besides loading "something" whether it be a page or a video, or anything in between.

It doesn't force me to reboot, just to close the program down using Task Manager (CTL + ATL + DEL). There have been on changes in hardware, and I can think of no particular software change that correlated. It started about two weeks ago, give or take.

I've run the virus scans/ad-ware/spyware/malware programs I mentioned above, no other ones come to mind.

No error messages pop up when it freezes, except it telling me it stopped responding. I checked the Event Log just now and it has an error that correlates with every freeze. Information in the Properties on the errors is as follows (they all seem to read the same except for the date/time obviously:)

Date:10/2/2007
Time: 3:41:30 PM
Type: Error
User: N/A
Source: Application Hang
Category: (101)
Event ID: 1002

Description:
Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16512, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

That was under "application." It's related to "iexpore.exe" i.e. IE7, so it at least logged that it happened, but from what I gathered it was simply logging that the program stopped responding. The only other error in the last day or two was under "system" and had to do with DCOM. It didn't correlate with the times of the other errors (IE7 errors.) If you want the data on the DCOM errors please ask. I'm not sure if they're worth putting up, you tell me.

Elven

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Here are some known cures, apart from only using firefox.

Disable Addons. Go to Tools > Add-on Manager, and uncheck the currently loaded. addons.

Reset IE settings. Go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced. Click on "Reset" button. Click OK. Close all browsers. Reboot the computer.

Check if a program running in the background is interfering with Internet Explorer. Temporarily disable antivirus, firewall, antispyware, ad-blocker, popup blocker.

Disable Yahoo add ons

Uninstall and reinstall IE7. Make sure you have the latest updates.

Allow IE7 access specifically in your firewall

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Sorry, I forgot to reply.

After quite a bit of spyware removal it seemed to improve. After resetting IE settings I haven't had any more problems. Thanks guys. Go ahead and mark this one resolved. And sorry for the delay on response.

Elven