Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp and drivers

• Please log in to reply

Jxshua.Marks

Jxshua.Marks

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
alright i got a new tower and i want to reformat the hard drive to improve performance. can i just copy the driver folder then reformat the computer and paste the driver folder to make all the divices i had running on it befor work again? it took a long time to get all the drivers and i dont want to redo my work. any feedback is helpful. thanks a lot!

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi Jxshua.Marks.

1) Reinstalling a fresh copy of XP will not improve the performance over another fresh install of XP - you said that you just got a new desktop system.

2) Drivers must be reinstalled - you can't just copy the files.

3) Improving the performance of a PC involves making changes to a stock installation such as:
- Removing unecessary startup programs. See Startup Inspector or Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel.
- Defragging the hard drive.
- Disabling all those stupid MS "eye candy" theme settings such as sliding combo boxes, etc.
See Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > Performance: Settings > tick Custom. Re-enable "Show Window contents while dragging" and "Use visula styles on windows and buttons" > OK.
- Setting to Manual the following Services:
Start, Run, type services.msc, OK
Change the "Startup Type" to Manual, then select
"Apply" and "OK", repeat for all of the following:

The following is a list of Services that you can set to MANUAL on most systems
for increased performance unless otherwise noted:
Cryptographic Services
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Error Reporting Service (set to DISABLE)
Fast User Switching
IPSEC Services
Messenger (set to DISABLE)
PRO Remote Registry
Secondary Logon
Server
SSDP Discovery Service
PRO Telnet
WebClient
Windows Time
Workstation

- If you PC is not hand-built then uninstall al that crap "bloatware" (useless programs) that come pre-installed on all store bought systems.
- Make sure there is at least 1MB of RAM installed.

Edited by WinCrazy, 02 October 2007 - 07:53 PM.