Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i don't see the right place to post my questions

• Please log in to reply

goatfarmer

goatfarmer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Question 1: I found a deal($700) for a brand new Sony VAIO -N320E/W Laptop. Is this a good laptop? Is that a good price? If not, what is a good laptop,where do I find it? I have a home-built p.c. at home, highspeed internmet , xp. Although the person who built my computer is a insanely bright when it comes to co,puters, I'm the opposite. So, need help.
Question 2 : What is a FREE, SAFE proxy server to use? I just learned of these the other day, and have the need for anonimoty, at a certain site. note to add: i was not kicked off, banned, or booted in anyway from the site. My need for anonimoty is not for anything bad. This is the one that I need help on 1st. The recomenndation for a laptop, that can wait a fewdays. Thank you to any and all who answer. It will be appreciated. goatfarmer

Advertisements

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Question 2 : What is a FREE, SAFE proxy server to use? I just learned of these the other day, and have the need for anonimoty, at a certain site. note to add: i was not kicked off, banned, or booted in anyway from the site. My need for anonimoty is not for anything bad. This is the one that I need help on 1st. The recomenndation for a laptop, that can wait a fewdays. Thank you to any and all who answer. It will be appreciated. goatfarmer

You can search for "proxy" in Google, also there a lot of sites like this. And you can get a software like ProxySwitcher.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Question 1: I found a deal($700) for a brand new Sony VAIO -N320E/W Laptop. Is this a good laptop? Is that a good price? If not, what is a good laptop,where do I find it? I have a home-built p.c. at home, highspeed internmet , xp. Although the person who built my computer is a insanely bright when it comes to co,puters, I'm the opposite. So, need help.

Hi goatfarmer! Can you post a link to the page you are looking at purchasing (if it's online)? If someone can find you a better deal (or a better computer), shall we assume that your budget for a new laptop is $700?

For what purposes do you wish to use the laptop? I'm not asking about all your private stuff! I just mean do you use it for internet browsing, office programs and e-mail, 3D gaming, video editing etc... Let us know what you use and we can point you toward something that will suit you best!

Cheers :)

goatfarmer

goatfarmer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
goatfarmer here, I almost chose pcduumy for a user name, so I do not know how to post a link. what i am looking for is a laptop computer, for email and doing searches, and being on forums. I would prefer this thing be as cheap as possible, but also as good of one as I can get for my $. I also would like if it didn't look like crap, like I want it to look nice. Are there any like that? can anyone recommend one? my budget depends on what I get. I would like the best possible deal, have been looking on craigs list, at used ones.Also pc mag. reviews-they say dell vostro
As far as the proxt servers go, yes, I know I can google proxy servers. I have done that. That is the reason I asked the question here. I want a SAFE and FREE proxy server. the ones that copme up first on a google search are open proxies, which I heard are bad. Can any one just say "this is a safe, free proxy server-xxxxx" for example? I also heard you should have to log in if it is a safe one. so, to wrap it up:
1.best, cheapest good looking laptop- what is it?______________
2. safe, free proxy server-what is it?______________ Thank you if anyone can help.-goatfarmer

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well it's not the best - that would be too expensive...
It's not the cheapest - that would be too slow...
I think it looks pretty good...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834147457

This laptop does look pretty reasonable. But, you'll have to wait for someone else on the proxy servers, I'm clueless about that.

goatfarmer

goatfarmer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank You! That was exactly the response I was looking for.....Someone to tell me exactly which one to buy. I'm buying it. So,I appreciate you telling me and providing a link. Is there anything else I need to buy with it to get it up and running? I have a high speed internet connection at my home, was hopeing to go off of that. will this thing some how "pick up" a signal from my desk computer and just be able to be online? i do not have a brand name computer, I have a home-built one, so don't know what to say about all the holes in the back of it. What would you recommend I buy in addition to this laptop? a battery? or does it all come with it? thank you again. I would like it if I open the box, get a set of instructiond that I can understand, and beon the internet as soon as possible. Any more suggestions on what to get to make this possible, or anyone wanting to sell me their old one before I click on the "buy it now" button? I really appreciate your telling me which one to buy. now if I can only find a safe free proxy......????

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well like I said, it looks pretty reasonable, but I wasn't exactly saying "buy this" - the choice is yours, but the specifications of that laptop would be the minimum I would look for in a new computer. The only other things I would like to see is more (2GB) RAM and a faster processor speed, but for what you want to use it for, it should be fine. The rebate makes it more attractive :)

You should pretty much get everything you need out of the box as it's a retail item. It should come with a battery, and with some form of user manual. Depending on how your desktop connects to the internet, your new laptop should be able to connect the same way. If you have a router, just plug it in and you're laughing. If you have a wireless router, then you should be able to connect wirelessly, and you're laughing even harder. If you have a simple modem with only one ethernet port that the desktop is using, then you're really unhappy and not laughing at all. You'll need to get a router. If you really don't know how you are connected, you might need to contact your ISP if they set it up for you.