Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sluggish computer

• Please log in to reply

cib

cib

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well, first it takes along time to boot, and logging on MSN. Also, when I play sims2 seasons it freezes and takes along time to upload, can't put in anything in the houses without it freezes and turn off.

My Specs are: Motherboard: Inte (Essex) Pentium 4 - 2.0GHz
Video Card: Radeon 7200 Series
RAM: 768MB 1 256 and 1 512
I have Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Thank you

Advertisements

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
I would first go to malware forum run Hijack this and post there to see if you are free of malware.

Richenstony

Richenstony

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok well , usually when a computer freezes up it usally means the computer does not for one second like the game its running , i did some searching online and i found the minimum requirements for that game , to say the very least you meet them by a tiny amount ..

* 2.0 GHz processor
* 256 MB RAM if Windows XP
* 128 MB RAM if Windows 98, Windows ME, or Windows 2000
* At least 3.5 gigs of free hard drive space

Now im not playing your system , but it should be considered maybe upgrading a few things .......

Now my 2nd theory , your memory could have some errors on it , run over to this site and run a memtest , if it comes back clean then brilliant!! If not we could have some serious issues here ....... you may even need to discard a stick ....... but like i said only if the ram is bad ..... download the memtest here burn at a slow speed with poweriso http://www.memtest86.com/.....

Now i move onto my 3rd theory your harddrive , how often do you keep it in maintenance at shoddy hardware full of a bad registry says a lot about a person :) , so you made need to clean your registry out , you could also run ccleaner , it has a mild registry tool in it , which meets a small scale on todays market .... but its still worth it .....

Now for my last theory run follow these instructions :

1. Double-click My Computer
2. Right-click your hard drive and choose "Properties"
3. Click the Tools tab
4. For the error check, click the "Check now" button under the option "Error-checking"
5. In the new window, check both "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"
6. Click "Start". Please note that this sometimes requires a reboot of the computer
7. For the defragmentation, click "Defragment now" in the defragmentation section.
8. Mark the hard drive you wish to defragment and click "Defrag".

If none of this works i will get more in detail with what wil be causeing your issue and how to solve it fully!

Tony :wave:

Edited by Richenstony, 03 October 2007 - 04:39 PM.