Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

audacity

• Please log in to reply

mondial356

mondial356

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi. I don't know if I am on he right "TOPIC" section but if not, perhaps someone will redirect me

I have an old Compaq running Windows XP with 1GB hard drive and 256KB ram. I use it mainly for recording my record collection from vinyl to CD, using audacity. It is not connected to the internet.

I recently moved it into a spare room and, when connected, I can get no sound out of the speakers at all. I have tried a set of speakers from my other computer and have tried playing the sample music, also CD’s, without any joy. If I play vinyl through Audacity I don’t get the blue line indicating it is receiving a message from the vinyl, nor any sound.

I have reset Audacity, as best I can, without any success. I do not know what sound card is fitted and so I have set everything up to USB Codec.

I have checked hardware configuration and there is no conflict. I have checked on the Control Panel for Sounds and Audio Devices and can find no fault. I have checked the volume from the Sounds and Audio devices. Also from the bottom right hand corner of my screen and all are set on full volume with no mute.

What can I do?

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello mondial356,

Lets check Device manager.

Click on start.
Click on Run.

Type in devmgmt.msc

Device manager will come up. Do you see Any Red X's Yellow ! or Yellow ?.
Click the + sign next to sound Video and game controllers what is listed there?

mondial356

mondial356

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I appreciate yur response but, whilst waiting for an answer, in desperation I tried System Restore and it worked! All is now well.
My apologies for wasting your time and sincere thanks.
David