Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

D Link Wireless Router and Card issues

• Please log in to reply

Jerry dorman

Jerry dorman

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello,
I tried contacting D Link so I didn't have to bother you guys but they won't offer me any sort of support, even for money!
I recently moved and had my internet access transferred to the new house. When the Roadrunner tech was over here, he told us that we should encrypt our wireless connection. When we followed the directions to encrypt it, the computer crashed and every time we tried to use the wireless card to connect, we got the blue screen of death.
So I uninstalled all of the drivers for my card. I first tried to reinstall them from the website which caused all sorts of additional problems. Nothing downloaded from that site seemed to work. I uninstalled everything I could find relating to the D Link card.
Finally, I located my drivers cd and installed it. I still cannot connect to the internet. The icon in the bottom right hand tray used to say the signal was excellent, now it has a black check over it. Even when it said it was excellent, the server still could not be found.
Here are two additional problems that may be related: The properties refer to this as Wireless Connection 4
The adapter is referred to as Adapter #3. I only have one computer, one connection, one wireless adapter.
Another problem I am having is I would like to title my connection instead of it being called Default. For some reason, I am unable to change the name.
When I double click on the wireless bars in the bottom right hand tray, the window that opens flashes only briefly and will not stay on. It says Status: Driver not load

I have a D Link wireless card: G DWL-G650 and a D Link wireless router: DI-524
I think I need to clear everything out and start from scratch but apparently, there are several other previous installations stuck somewhere.

Thank you and you guys always help out so much! You deserve an award.
Jerry

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hi Jerry, sorry for the late reply. Let's see if I can be of any assistance.

Reset the router by holding the reset button down for like 30 seconds (just to be sure :)). Connect a network cable from your computer to the router. Set up the wireless access to the router from scratch. Do NOT enable any encryption for now. Once you save the setting changes, unplug the cable and try connecting via the wireless card. See if the wireless connectivity works first. If you confirmed that it works then enable the encryption. If you can't connect, either your card doesn't support the encryption type (older cards won't support WPA or newer methods) or you didn't enter the correct encryption password (or method type was not selected correctly).

For the number of connections, did you uninstall all the previous drivers for the wireless card? You should always remove the previous drivers if you plan to install back the proper drivers. My guess is that Windows sees this wireless card as another new network connection device now.

Jerry dorman

Jerry dorman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks! I'm going to try this tomorrow night and get back with you. Thanks for replying so fast!

Jerry dorman

Jerry dorman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just wanted to apologize. A few things came up and I was unable to work on the router when I said I would. I am off work tomorrow and it's the first things on my to-do list. I will let you know what happens tomorrow, probably later afternoon.
Thanks again!!

Jerry dorman

Jerry dorman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello,
I followed the directions you gave me along with the directions for installing the card and router and somehow, I had no internet at all. We finally got it figured out after several days of no internet.
I'm sorry, I was unable to reply and give you an update through this time.

So now, the wireless is working, but... The computer labels any internet connection as Wireless Connection 6 even though all previous software installs I could find had been removed. How do I change that?

And also, the network is named "Default." How do I rename it? I have a few neighbors with wireless and a few other defaults around here and I want to make sure that I can tell which is mine.

Thanks for your help!!

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Can you right click on Wireless Connection 6 and choose Rename? Give it a new name :)

Is that the name in the router? Go into the router settings and make sure the SSID is not default. Change it to something else. I would also disable SSID broadcasting if it's enabled and enable any encryption you have there (WEP or WPA....WPA is preferred for stronger encryption).

Jerry dorman

Jerry dorman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I looked all over the place trying to find the phrase "Wireless Connection 6" and couldn't find it anywhere. I did, however find that it was counting the number of times I've installed the software because I uninstalled both the card and router using Device Manager and when I put the software back in, it errored and froze the computer. I forced the computer off. Then, when the computer came back on, up popped a bubble that said there were wireless connections in range and when I clicked on mine and it connected, it had a new name, "Wireless Connection 7."

So, how do I make it register the install as the first one? I have uninstalled the software several times, yet it seems to keep holding a tally.

As far as "Default goes," it's the name of the first in my list of Preferred Networks. It actually says "Default (automatic)" when listed there.

Is that the name in the router? Go into the router settings and make sure the SSID is not default. Change it to something else. I would also disable SSID broadcasting if it's enabled and enable any encryption you have there (WEP or WPA....WPA is preferred for stronger encryption).

I'm assuming that I can get to the router settings typing in the web address thing to it. I have to find out how to do that. I'm trying "http://" and then the router's ip address and it doesn't seem to work to get into any settings. I'm also assuming that SSID and encryption settings are also in there somehow.
I will work on figuring out how to do that!

By the way, I want to say thank you so far! You are giving me a bit of confidence in figuring this out. It's actually something we've been fighting with since June. We couldn't even figure out how to hook up the laptop wirelessly and have it work until you told us that first part!

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
No problem Jerry. Glad to help :)

Not sure why it's incrementing that number if you stopped reinstalling it :)

You can go to Start->(Settings)->Control Panel->Network Connections and rename it there.

Yes, the router settings. To find the address for it, go to Start->Run and type in cmd and hit OK. Then at the prompt, type in ipconfig and hit ENTER. Look at the Default Gateway line. That's your router's IP Address. Type that in your browser and hit ENTER. It will bring you to the settings page. It will prompt you for a login. Refer to your router manual for that information. Usually it's admin/admin, admin/password or admin and no password.

Jerry dorman

Jerry dorman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks! Got it renamed and I figured out how to set up my wireless router! Finally, I have internet again!
The only thing is that whenever I encrypt it, there are always problems. I can find out online somewhere how to do it properly, I'm sure. And I've went this long without encryption...

Thanks again! I will not have any extra cash until next Thursday but I do plan on donating to you for your time.
Thanks!

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Yeah, when using encryption, make sure you have the same exact settings on the wireless card (especially when it comes to WPA - they have more than one method). Just keep a network cable handy so you can always connect back to the router that way and reset it :)

I usually recommend enabling encryption since without it anyone can swing by your area (outside your house :)) with their laptop and have free internet :)

Jerry dorman

Jerry dorman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello,
Just one more problem here. Would you know why each time I start my computer, it comes up that it has found new hardware and loads the wireless card again. It asks me if I want to install the software or if I want windows to search for it.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
If it's happening for the wireless card, then I would make sure that you installed the correct drivers and installed it under an administrator account.

Jerry dorman

Jerry dorman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Everything is solved! thanks so much again!

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
No problem, glad it's resolved :)

What did you do to get it working properly? This may help others who have this same issue.

Edited by greyknight17, 27 October 2007 - 03:38 PM.