Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

+4,000 SYSTEM32 ENTRIES IN STARTUP PROGRAMS

• Please log in to reply

HYPERZIP

HYPERZIP

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello-
I would love some help, please, on this problem with my windows xp pro desktop. This is not a "typical" startup items topic, because I've googled it to death, for some answers for two weeks to no avail. The problem is in System Tools - under System Information. then under Software Environment. Right there, under Software Environment, when I click on Startup Programs, I have more than 4,000 items listed! It's all of the System32 files with double entries! Please understand, I am unable to "remove" these by using msconfig and other manual attempts. And I do NOT have the system32 folder load up upon booting, as some people have experienced. This is something I would never have seen unless I looked under System Tools, (in the order as noted above). In addition, msconfig just shows my usual start up items.........it's only under System Information that these +4,000 system32 files are showing.

I always run spybot, ccleaner, adaware, zonealarm, avast.....and am SO careful (no bad guys have turned up).

If anyone has any clue and can help me with this, I'll be so grateful! Thank you, all magnificent geeks!!!

Peace,
Hyperzip

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't know what these entries are since I never encountered a problem that had me going into these dark corners of Windows. However, I looked in my computer and it's the same as in yours. My computer runs perfectly so I assume you shouldn't worry. Not a direct and clear answer, I know.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I dont know I have 8 entries in mine. My 4 items on startup plus 4 desktop.ini, for All users, my user, etc.

Dont know why there would be so many.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Are we looking in the same place? Go to: Start > programs > accessories > system tools > system information > expand software environment > click start up programs. Let the computer refresh system information.

By the way, it took me about 20 minutes to find this, and about 10 minutes to find it again to place this post.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Yup, excpet I went to Start -> Run -> msinfo32
Then Software Enviorment, then Startup Programs

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
The 'Software Environment" lists all the system32 entries because, once Windows is loaded, all those files are (potentially) active--creating the environment. You will notice that there are non-Windows files listed as well--those associated with user controlled auto-start applications.

The entries are most often doubled because the dllcache resides in system32 and is (potentially) active as well. Since the cache contains duplicates of the system32 files, the file entries appear doubled--as well they should be.

This is one of the 'dark corners' that can often lead to misunderstanding. System Information provides the information because that what it is designed to do. Actually a good way to check for missing system files. If a system entry is not doubled, perhaps it is missing from system32? From dllcache?

Rather than worrying about too many entries, it is much better to ensure that Windows has all the files it needs.
Every once in a while do a 'scannow:'
http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Salute, Doc. brilliant, as usual. I always enjoy learning from the broader aspects that you bring into a topic.

HYPERZIP

HYPERZIP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
You Guys! Thank you for your responses! For Jaxisland, like I said - msconfig won't show it. TheSkeptic - you have it too and thank you for confirming this possibility. Just listen to this: in this office, we have 2 similar computers. One desktop PC is the one that has all the +4,000 sys32 files in System Information, et. etc. The 2nd desktop PC DOES NOT - I repeat DOES NOT - show the +4,000 under it's System Information, Software Environment, Startup Programs. That 2nd PC, shows via the System Tools, System Information, Software Environment, Startup Programs with only about 20...THAT'S RIGHT only about 20 entries which are normal start up programs.

Now...As fond as I am of ll01doc's response, I have a huge question for us all to ponder. If what you are saying is true...then WHY, oh why, don't they just call that section headlined Software Environment, Startup Programs "Your System32 Folders" rather than "Startup Programs" ??? Why even put it under Software Environment, Startup Programs if really, the entire contents of your system32 items are in there.

Here's the 3rd thing. It takes, like my new friend TheSkeptic says.....FOREVER! to even open that information up! Yes! When you click on it, it reads "Refreshing System Information" and it takes several minutes to even open the window displaying what's in there. Crazy. In my humble opinion; this should show startup programs, just like msconfig - but one of our 2 computers do not.

Keep on keepin' on and soon the answer will come.

Sorry for being all hyper....

Does my face look blue?
HYPERZIP

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
OOPS!!! You just used the word "Why?" in reference to Windows!
10 Demerits! And No dessert!
------------------------------------

I woud take a close look at that 2nd PC. May be on a network? Domain?
Good idea to do a 'scannow' on it.