Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

HP Pavilion shuts down

• Please log in to reply

datrader

datrader

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My HP Pavilion a300y recently started shutting down for "no reason" while I'm using it. The monitor goes dark and the computer does not respond to the mouse or keyboard. The small indicator light on the front of the PC stays yellow and I can hear the fan running, so it's not powered down completely. But the only way I can get it back is by powering off then restarting. When this problem first started happening it was only once in a while. Now it happens every few minutes, sometimes within a couple of minutes after starting the PC. I ran Norton Anti-Virus scan, MS Spyware remover and the Windows Disk Checker - no problems detected. The shutdown happens regardless of what software I'm using at the time (IE, Excel, Firefox - anything).
Any ideas on what's wrong? I suspect hard drive or power supply failure, but just a guess. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
RP

Advertisement

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Certainly sounds like it could be a PSU issue. If the PSU came with the system & you haven't added additional hardware to to it since, then it should be powerful enough to run your system. In which case, its more likely to be a faulty PSU.

Also check the CPU & system temps though. These symptoms are similar to the ones you get when the system overheats.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Start > Control Panel > power options

Set Standby to never in both cases (laptop desktop)

Does the problem recur?

datrader

datrader

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I installed Everest home edition and used its heat montior to check internal heat (a tip from another thread). The temps went as high as 88F / 31C. Should that level of heat cause a shutdown? The PC ran about 10 minutes at that temp before shutting down. I haven't installed any extra hardware.
Thanks,
RP

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
no that level of heat won't cause a shutdown or reboot I would trouble shoot the psu as Samm suggested

Rick

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
as another quick question while we are on the suject (srry to post it in here but i didn't want to start a new thread) what should be your max temp on your computer mine is 49C/127F is that healthy?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

as another quick question while we are on the suject (srry to post it in here but i didn't want to start a new thread) what should be your max temp on your computer mine is 49C/127F is that healthy?

View Post

Without knowing what CPU you have etc, 49C at max is fine.

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Ok coool i have a AMD 3200 64 bit CPU so as long as it deosn't go over 49 i should be good? Thanx. :tazz:

Pulaski CM

Pulaski CM

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Happens to me too

Edited by Pulaski CM, 15 April 2009 - 11:44 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 33,993 posts
Direct to: Pulaski CM

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other issues that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.

Advertisement