Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update Problem

• Please log in to reply

Ascadia

Ascadia

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This error occurred when I tried to install an update for Conexant - Sound - Conexant High Definition Audio.
It says that the update failed to install, and now my audio doesn't work. I have tried searching Window's database, and looking online, and so far the only method I have found that has worked is to use system restore back, but that would cause me to lose a lot of my data, and I was wondering if there was anything else I could do?

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
See if you can 'roll back' the driver or do a system restore to the date just before you downloaded that update.
Don't update drivers with Windows Update...only use the manufacture's updates (if there are any)

Look at this Google page to see if you can find any information on your drivers:
http://www.google.co...G=Google Search

Ascadia

Ascadia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It doesn't give me to option to roll back to driver. I'll try a system restore and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Ascadia, try this first....
right click on the volume control icon in the task tray > click on 'Playback Devices. On the Playback tab the speakers may have a red X...click on the speaker icon. Now click on 'properties'....down at the bottom click on 'Device Usage' and enable if disabled.
Click on the Advanced tab , then click 'test' and see if you have sound now...

Ascadia

Ascadia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hhhmm....when I go there, it says that there aren't any audio devices installed.
Also, my system restore seems to have not worked either...