Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading suggestions?

• Please log in to reply

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
I made a topic on here last year expressing interest in upgrading or building new, I was told (as I was expecting) that it would be more beneficial to build new...Unfortunately at the time I didn't have alot of money (not that I do now :wave:)...
Since I'm planning on building a PC (or buying a laptop) next year I figure I might as well buy a few parts so I can game a bit until then..

Basically what made me actually want to do this is the release of the Orange Box (HL2, HL2:Ep 1 + 2, TF2 etc)....I'm looking to upgrade my computer to be able to run these games relatively well, but I'm not expecting anything flashy with the money I'm willing to spend...

Right now I have an HP Pavilion a420n no real upgrades...

Basic Specs:
RAM-PC2700 512 MB RAM (running 447.5 because of on board graphics processor)
Processor- AMD Athlon™ XP 3000+ (2.16 ghz rated at 3.00 ghz)
Video Card -the onboard processor 64mb video memory (takes from my RAM)

Anyway I'm just looking to buy a relatively cheap (under 100 US dollars) graphics card. What I want in the Graphics Card: nVidia chipset, 256MB video RAM, and the specs for the orange box call for Shader Model 3.0. Also I don't know what this is but it calls for "Video HW Transform & Lighting"....

I'm also looking to buy another stick of 512 MB RAM....

I found a few things I think would do good but I always like to get a second opinion..

My Ideas-

For RAM-
CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700)
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145407

For Graphics Card-
I'm not really sure I was looking at some that seemed like they'd suit my needs for cheap-
something like this maybe-

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814122019

any and all help is appreciated :)

Advertisements

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
If I were you, I would go for THIS card as it has more pixel pipelines.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well I would STRONGLY suggest just get a new computer but if you must just upgrade then the first thing I would do is the RAM. Most newer games run well at 1.5-2GB so maybe get 1GB stick of RAM but if you do not plan to keep this computer long the 512mb might be good enough. The AGP cards are an out of date technology and I would not recommend buying one. But if you must get an AGP card then get a GeForce 7600 GS or Radeon X1650 PRO (GDDR3). Also your RAM is an out of date technology too, DDR DIMM opposed to DDR2, which I don't like to recommend because it is going to be just going to hold you back and make you spend more money.

I would just build your system now but if you must hold onto your old system and upgrade it then go with 512mb-1GB of DDR DIMM RAM and a GeForce 7600 GS or Radeon X1650 PRO (GDDR3). Again these investments will not last you that long.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Well I would STRONGLY suggest just get a new computer but if you must just upgrade then the first thing I would do is the RAM. Most newer games run well at 1.5-2GB so maybe get 1GB stick of RAM but if you do not plan to keep this computer long the 512mb might be good enough. The AGP cards are an out of date technology and I would not recommend buying one. But if you must get an AGP card then get a GeForce 7600 GS or Radeon X1650 PRO (GDDR3). Also your RAM is an out of date technology too, DDR DIMM opposed to DDR2, which I don't like to recommend because it is going to be just going to hold you back and make you spend more money.

I would just build your system now but if you must hold onto your old system and upgrade it then go with 512mb-1GB of DDR DIMM RAM and a GeForce 7600 GS or Radeon X1650 PRO (GDDR3). Again these investments will not last you that long.

I know alot of its outdated, I may not even get the Graphics card I'm not sure....

but I do plan on getting the RAM though, its only 25 bucks...

I just want to be able to play the orange box relatively well..

I'm just curious on what Graphics card you'd suggest for under 100 bucks..

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
$25, then yes get the RAM. You will notice a good performance boost with that. The card might be a little too much of an investment for a out of date technology but the GeForce 7600 GS or Radeon X1650 PRO (GDDR3) are the lowest cards I can suggest for an AGP video card.

Edited by jackflash1991, 03 October 2007 - 08:46 PM.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

$25, then yes get the RAM. You will notice a good performance boost with that. The card might be a little too much of an investment for a out of date technology but the GeForce 7600 GS or Radeon X1650 PRO (GDDR3) are the lowest cards I can suggest for an AGP video card.

I was looking at the 7600 last year, but yea I'm only looking for enough to run Half Life 2 at the very least....

I may just say forget it and buy a 360 and the orange box....but I'm looking at all things as a whole at this point...

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

I was looking at the 7600 last year, but yea I'm only looking for enough to run Half Life 2 at the very least....

The 7600GS should be sufficient. You could upgrade to the more powerful Radeon X1950 PRO for ~$160 opposed to the cheaper GeForce 7600 GS for under $100. I would upgrade the RAM first and then, if you need some more power, go with the 7600GS.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Another quick question, this pertains to the idea I have of building a computer next year...

How much do you think it would cost to build a decent PC...sorry for the generic question....

I'd want like a near high end Graphics Card and Processor...

I'm thinking I'm gunna put about $1000 aside(give or take), you think that'll be enough?

I'm talking rough estimation, I don't expect you to know exactly :)

The 7600GS should be sufficient. You could upgrade to the more powerful Radeon X1950 PRO for ~$160 opposed to the cheaper GeForce 7600 GS for under $100. I would upgrade the RAM first and then, if you need some more power, go with the 7600GS.

thanks for the response but chances are I won't get the new Card unless the RAM doesn't allow me to play...but its still something for me to consider...

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 04 October 2007 - 01:44 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
$1000 is enough for a decent PC. Like my rig would probably add up to a little under $1,500 and it can pretty much play any game on high quality.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

$1000 is enough for a decent PC. Like my rig would probably add up to a little under $1,500 and it can pretty much play any game on high quality.

Out of curiousity what put your build up to 1500....The only thing I can think of is if you got a really nice monitor.....just trying to gather info for my future build...been trying to build one for about 2 years, but alas funds :/

-O and you suggested maybe a ATI Radeon 1950, last year I purchased a Radeon 1300 and everything checked out...Spec for Spec it was perfect for my computer but in some freak chance of fate it wouldn't read on my computer...The card worked fine on other computers and other cards worked fine on my computer...So I'm trying to stay with nVidia with this comp atleast. Besides that someone told me my MoBo was nVidia optimized or something....