Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Word 2003 Suddenly Freezing

• Please log in to reply

kit1987

kit1987

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello Geeks 2 Go team!

I'm having great difficulty with Microsoft Word 2003. As from this morning it suddenly freezes everytime I try to open it directly or from a word document. I did some searching on the web and found a site saying to type into run word.exe /a (or something similar, i can't remember). the site said if it starts up fine (which it did) then it is an application or add on error and maybe something to do with dot files?

I hope this helps. I can post a Hijack this log if needs be?

It's rather frustrating and upsetting as I'm in my final year at University and really need to use Word for my Dissertation.

Thank you.

Kit.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi kit1987. Welcome to Geeks to go!

It sounds like your normal.dot file is corrupt. To fix it, we need to locate your normal.dot and move it out of its folder. This will force Word to create a new one.

Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates (where username is your username). If this location is empty, you may need to Show Hidden Files and Folders. Open My Computer, click the Tools menu, Folders Options, View tab, Advanced Settings. Scroll to Hidden Files and Folders and tick "Show Hidden Files".

If it's not located here, you can Search for it. Be sure that you open More Advanced Options and tick Search Hidden Files and Folders.

When you find it, cut (not copy) the file and paste it to your Desktop. Reopen Word.

Does this fix the problem?

kit1987

kit1987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for getting back to me so soon LindaGail. I located the Normal.dot file. I followed your steps and Word opens fine now, however, if I try and open a file while in Word it still freezes up and in the bottom left corner of Word it says "Running Virus Scan...". The only way to get out of it is to press Ctrl, Alt Del and end the process. And if I try to open Word via a Word document it just freezes on the loading screen like before.

UPDATE: Now Word isn't opening at all, like when the problem first occured! It just sits on the start up frozen.

Edited by kit1987, 04 October 2007 - 05:15 AM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Which antivirus are you running? We need to look at the Office plug-in setting and disable it if possible.

kit1987

kit1987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Norton Anti Virus, but i think it's literally just ran out the other day as it's saying I'm no longer protected, and I knew it would be out of date around Octoberish time. So I need to buy a new yearly subscription asap. Could this be something to do with it?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It could be the problem. The Office plug-in may not be functioning properly. See this link that shows how to disable Norton's Office plug-in.

If Norton's subscription has expired, you could explore alternative antivirus solutions. I use AVG Free Edition and it's been working great. You can download it here. If you choose this option, be sure to remove Norton before installing any other antivirus. Sometimes it's necessary to use Symantec's removal tool. You can get it here.

Be sure to let us know who it goes.

kit1987

kit1987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Some godo news LindaGail, I deleted Norton completely from ym computer and Word si now working great. You may have been right about the plug-in. As for anti virus software, i also use the free AVG to scan my computer aswell as Norton. Norton tends to let me down and cause problems so I'm thinking of using AVG. Does the full version have constant protection running like Norton?

Thank you for taking the time to help me. If i wasn't such a poor Uni student i would donate copious ammounts of money to your pay pal :)

Regards.

Kit

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Check here for the full AVG line of security products. I'm sure you'll find something that fits your needs and budget.

I'm glad we got your Word issue resolved!