Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive safty

• Please log in to reply

StaticRed

StaticRed

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hey guys..

to make a long story short..

im moving back to N.Ireland from Germany and im bringing my pc back with me..

i sent it to by post Germany when i moved here. big mistake.. i opened the box and it was in pieces.

so this time iv decided to bring it with me in my luggage.

ok so what im thinking of doing is..

1. wrap up and pack my 2 hard drives and my graphics card and pack them in to my carry on bag,.

so my question for number 1 is.. you guys think this is ok if i make sure they are wrapped up in anti static bags and packed safely in a wee box with the white soft stuff :) and also will this cause any problems when im going through security?

for my pc tower.. im gonna pack that up in a computer card board box i got from a pc shop..

have the four white soft thingys in each corner to make sure its safe.. and put this in my suit case surrounded by my clothes.

i wont be bringing anything else from my pc just the tower.

so do you guys think this is ok that my pc will arrive ok and that the hard drives and graphics card will be ok. ill make sure to be extra careful with the bag..

thanks for reading and for your comments u will leave :wave:

Advertisements

Richenstony

Richenstony

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok your Harddrive seems to be looking for a safe jorney and you are certainly doing that , you have taken all the right precautions in making sure it doesn't break or somehow it suffers a static attack , so you did good there... However

When taking it through customs , they may ask you a ton of questions ..... as the harddrive isnt in the computer and its in your carry ons , just be honest and say whats what , if they get rude , give them the drive and say look run a test etc.... i have had issues going through customs like this before , but all i had was a usb pen drive ...... it speaks volumes don't it .... i wouldn't worry to much though...

Tony :)

ps : You could also consult the travel agency's before you fly with them , and tell them how your packing etc... they may be of some help....

Edited by Richenstony, 04 October 2007 - 10:12 AM.

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
cool thanks for your reply and your advice.. much appreciated :)

the German customs are always abit rude lol so i think im gonna have to talk abit.. but ill do as you say and ring aerlingus and also i might ring Düsseldorf airport and say to them

again thanks for you reply :wave:

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
just want to update to say iv arrived back home and pc and hard drives are safe and running perfectly.. i had no problems..

thanks again :)