Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP dics will not boot before windows

• Please log in to reply

ref_at_heart

ref_at_heart

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:)
Had virus's Adware.Tracking Cookie & Worm.Alcra Variant which the Super Antispyware removed. I've uninstalled anything that's not needed to continue web - email. Tried ever variant on the boot, have floppy, ARMD-FDD, ARMD-HDD, IDE-HDD, ATAPI CDROM, OPTION ROM, DISABELD to choose from. Nothing will get the CD to boot before windows. Any thoughts out there?

thanks
ref_at_heart

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I'm a little confused by your post. You do have the BIOS set to boot from the optical drive (CD) first?

What are the full system specs?

Richenstony

Richenstony

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Erm you have to set your bios to boot from CD-rom or dvdrom , then it will load windows x-p........

ref_at_heart

ref_at_heart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
System information
Bios Version A00
Processor Intel Pentium 3
Processor Speed 733MHZ
Sytem Buss Frequency 133MHZ
Cache Ram 256K
Total Memory 128MB
Memory bank 1 128MB PC800
Memory bank 2 not installed

Bios Information
Boot Config
Plug & Play O/S No
Reset Config Data No
Numlock On

From the Boot page
Quit Boot Enabled
Quick Boot Disabled

Restore on AC/Power loss last state
On LAN Power on
On PME Stay off

1st Boot Device Floopy
2nd ARMD-FDD
3rd ATAPI CDROM
4th IDE-HDD
5th Option ROM
6th Disabled

IDE Drive Configuration
Primary Master IDE 1st ST380013A
Primary Slave IDE 2nd Not installed
Secondary Master IDE 3rd Samsung DVD-ROM SD-6
Secondary Slave IDE 4th Sony CD-RW CRX14

After I wrote in last night I did some searching - I read that if the CD will not boot, then get a 95 - 98 Windows boot disc and when A:\ comes up type "sys c". My computer does not recognize this disk.
So, what I tried tonight. Disabled all but the ATAPI CDROM, Floppy ~ system would not load. Changed the load of the drive configuration to: Secondary Master IDE 1st, Secondary Slave IDE to 2nd ~ system would not load.
Quick question, could a virus created all my headaches or is this a true software problem
Note: This system had a warning on every boot, csrss.exe is not found bla bla. But the file folder C:\windows\system 32\mmbyefwyrv was there and I could see this exe file.

Thanks in advance :)

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Your BIOS settings seem confusing. Look through them to see if you have an option to "Restore Defaults" Your system specs are minimal to run XP anyway.

What is ARMD-FDD?

ref_at_heart

ref_at_heart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Did "restore defaults" every time I changed the IDE config to get back to running
ARMD-FDD ~ don't know ~ I'll do a search

ref_at_heart

ref_at_heart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ARMD-HDD would be used for a internal Zip Drive
Thinking my virus may be deeper than what I thought

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
When I open my BIOS, I can change the order of sequence that the machine uses to search for bootable material. Can you not move the CD drive to the top of the list?

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
When you have a fake XP disc it sometimes does not have the option to boot, only has the set up files on it. Not sure if this is your problem but it's worth a try. I'm pretty sure if the BIOS is set to boot from CD it will work with a proper CD.

ref_at_heart

ref_at_heart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Real disk ~ notice my log name ~ I'm a referee ~ I play by all the rules
As for moving the cd to boot first ~ I've done that and tried every variation
The disc starts up, then stops and I go right into windows
I'm thinking I have a really smart trojan

?? Should I shut down, let it sit a couple of hours and pull the battery and chips
?? Is there a way to reset the bios?
?? Any important information I have is backed up on disk
?? Should I try a clean sweep ( think that's the right name ? )

As soon as this get's repaired I plan on adding more sdram and such, so XP will run more effecient.

Thanks again :)

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Reset the BIOS to defaults by removing the CMOS battery. One of those round flat batteries like for games or big hearing aids. Be careful in there. Unplug first, and then ground yourself to prevent static discharge. The battery is usually held in with a clip, but models differ.

Pull the battery, wait a while,(up to half hour) then put it back in. BIOS will be reset to default.

Edited by 1101doc, 10 October 2007 - 09:13 PM.