Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Wont Boot

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
OK here is the deal....

I am still having MAJOR problems booting my computer.
I had to unplug my back up HD and it was working "ok"
Now it took me restarting my computer like 15 times to get it to finally boot all the way up to windows.
It usually stops right after the ram check and then the detection of the IDE drives.

Is there any way to check what the problem could be? I tested the HD and it was fine, I am unable to check the ram it wont work.... any more ideas folks?

Advertisements

Richenstony

Richenstony

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
You could try removing the CMOS battery , leave it out for 20 secs and put it back in ....... that will reset your bios , it might work ....... if it doesn't i will look into other things....

Tony :)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Is there any way to check what the problem could be? I tested the HD and it was fine, I am unable to check the ram it wont work.... any more ideas folks?

Does that mean your computer freezes everytime you run memtest?

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
please refer to my orginal post... I forgot that I had this one...lol

http://www.geekstogo...st-t172250.html

it should answer the ram test stuff :)

also the battery thing didnt work! but thanks for the idea

Edited by LiaoGoren, 05 October 2007 - 12:09 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Alright sorry I didn't get back to you in time, I'll reply in this thread from now on to keep it simple. What the last error message was that you got is your computer trying to boot over the LAN. Obviously if you don't have your computer connected in this way, it will give you the error you got. You need to enter the BIOS and look for an option that's called Boot Order Priority or similar. If you have a floppy disk drive, make sure it is 1st. Then your Optical Drive (CD/DVD Drive) goes next - if you have two, only the master should be listed. Then your hard drive should be listed. Boot on LAN should be turned off (or last).

If you burnt the memtest image properly, this should get it working. Even if it's not a RAM problem, we need to know for sure so we can rule it out.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I don't have any personal experience with this program but as a last resort you can download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Toools: http://www.pcworld.c...escription.html.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
wow I think my computer hates me.

I had to fight hard and never got the ram test working, but my computer seemed to be working and going good. I was on checkinmg my email, and formatting a new back up hd I got. Everything was working great....then for no real reason it just shut off... no power at all... for no reason.
so I though i tripped the surge protector, but everything else pluged into it is working fine. When the power is pluged into the tower the little light for the eithernet cable works, but nothing else in the box.... I am suspecting the power supply shorted out cause that thing was hot as [bleep]!

Any other ideas, tests, suggestions???????

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Your PSU really shouldn't get very hot. Because of that I would be suspicious the problem is the PSU. Do you have a friend with a computer that you can swap out PSUs with? Until we rule out the possibility of this being the PSU I would use your computer as little as possible or the PSU may take the other componants with it when it goes.

Edited by Titan8990, 08 October 2007 - 02:21 PM.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
yes I belive its my power supply, its going to take me a few days or so to test my theroy, so I am going to put this thread on hold untill I can figure it out.... thanks :)