Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

user profiles and duplicated icons

• Please log in to reply

fear187

fear187

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I am having an issue with duplicated icons/shortcuts. For example, if I copy a short cut from the start menu onto the administrator's desktop, and then right click on the desktop, click refresh, 2 icons appear of that of that one short cut I copied.

Before this was happening, I was trying to copy the Administrator Desktop (with the short cuts on the desktop I wanted other users to have).. so, not sure how I should go about fixing this problem. I would go into the administrator's profile, and copy the Desktop directory to the other users and over-write theirs. And I know for certain it isn't virus or malware related. Its something that's messed up with the profile. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I do notice, that when I am logged in as administrator on the local computer, when I make icons, the icons show up in the "All Users" profile (in the desktop directory).. and not in the Administrator's Desktop directory. How do I fix this?

Edited by fear187, 04 October 2007 - 11:19 AM.

Advertisements

fear187

fear187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Well.. I did some research and found the solution. Apparently when you mess with profiles, the registry can get messed up. Heres the fix. WOrked for me =)
http://windowsxp.mvp...catedesktop.htm