Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformat and Reinstall XP and

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
My family's second PC, the one the kids use and my wife uses has all of a sudden started to deteriorate. Pop-ups, Infections, shut-downs etc... Since there is really nothing important on it, I figured the easiest thing to do would be to Reformat and Reinstall XP.

Of course I guess I did it wrong as I put in the disk (like I would any disk) and double clicked on SetUp. It started to run and then I got an error that had something to do with

File az9uuj6f.sys could not be found so I chose the option to skip this file .... I think that was the stupidest thing I did today.

Now the PC will turn on, but not boot up. The PC starts up running the lights in all the devices ..... but no signal goes out to the monitor. When I touch the Power Button ... it shuts right off. (Normally I have to push the button and hold it for the machine to turn off).

Any idea how I can continue or get somewhat back to normal? I've tried putting the XP disk in the drive in an attempt to boot from the drive, but though the DVD drive gets power to open and close ..... it really doesn't do anything else.

Everyone here as always been very helpful so I'll just thank you in advance.

dog

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you've got to set the computer to boot to the cd or dvd drive (wherever the windows disk is at)...you do this by enterning bios (usually by pressing f2 or delete during bootup)...once you boot to the CD you can format teh drive then install windows

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Right, that's why I mentioned that "Of course I guess I did it wrong ... "

Now I can't get the PC to boot up to windows or to the point I can get to the BIOS.

I push the power button and all the devices light up but that's it ... nothing else.
Have I screwed the whole PC up?

dog

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The present problem is related to hardware and usually cannot be the result of incorrect operating system installation. The correlation in time to the installation is what make it look strange. However, I have seen a number of cases, especially, with older computers, that the hardware failed beyond repair during xp installation (a most unplesesnt situation, when you have to explain to a customer that his computer died when a seemingly normal procedure was performed). The reason is that xp installation can put considerable strain on parts of the computer which may fail. It's the same as with stability or performance test programs which strain the computer on purpose, to find if there is any weakness in it. These programs can finish a computer which was in a marginal state.

Please do the following:

1: Open the box and disconnect everything (hard disks, cd drives, usb devices, the lot). Leave only the video card, mouse, keyboard and a ram module. Reboot. Report any beep codes if there are any. If still no good:

2:Take out, carefully, the ram modules and video card. Clean the contacts with a soft cloth and the slots with a soft brush. Reseat the parts firmly in place and try to reboot. If still no good:

3: Disconnect the power cable in the wall socket or in the psu and take out carefully the cmos battery. Leave it out for about 15 minutes, reinstall and reboot. you will probably get an error message about checksome error or something like that. Set time and date in the bios to remove the message on the next boot.

Please report the results. I would particularly wish to know if there is any signal on the monitor.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

1: Open the box and disconnect everything (hard disks, cd drives, usb devices, the lot). Leave only the video card, mouse, keyboard and a ram module. Reboot. Report any beep codes if there are any. If still no good:

2:Take out, carefully, the ram modules and video card. Clean the contacts with a soft cloth and the slots with a soft brush. Reseat the parts firmly in place and try to reboot. If still no good:

3: Disconnect the power cable in the wall socket or in the psu and take out carefully the cmos battery. Leave it out for about 15 minutes, reinstall and reboot. you will probably get an error message about checksome error or something like that. Set time and date in the bios to remove the message on the next boot.

Please report the results. I would particularly wish to know if there is any signal on the monitor.

1. Did this and no good.

2. Did this and no good.

3. Did this and no good.

I did get two beeps close together

The monitor does NOT get a signal.

dog

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The two beeps indicate for a faulty video card (could also be the slot, the bus or other parts related to video. Commonly, however, it's the video card). Please remove it. If you have another video connection like a one integrated to the motherboard, connect the monitor to there. If there is no such connection get another video card, insert it and reboot.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Well, that's what I get for letting my 16 year old son hook anything up. (Of course at 16 he knows more than anyone else). He had the monitor plugged into the integrated video slot .... I plugged it into the OTHER graphics card slot and voila ... the monitor works.

When I try to boot up WindowsXP normally I get the following message.

The file az9uuj6f.sys could not be found press any key to continue

If I press any key to continue I get the following message.

Setup failed. Press any key to restart your computer

If I press any key to restart and hit F2 It comes to a screen that says

Please select the operating system to start:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup

When I select Windows XP Professional it runs to the WindowsXP screen with the black background and "load bar" and then goes black and stays black.

When I select Windows XP Professional Setup it goes to the Starting Windows Setup screen with the message

Press F6 if you need to install a 3rd Party SCSI or Raid Driver

Once done with that screen it goes again to the screen

Oh my gosh! But the monitor works :) so I'm getting somewhere

I do appreciate your help thanks!

dog

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Since you planned to format the disk in the first place, let's do it again.

1: Enter the BIOS and make your cd drive first boot device. If you have more then one make them first and second boot devices. Make the hard disk the device that will boot after the cd drives. Save the changes.

2: Insert the xp installation disk into the cd drive and reboot. When prompted to, "press any key for setup", press a key and let setup begin.

3: Choose to install a new installation of xp.

4: When disks and partitions menu show up follow the instructions and delete all the partitions on the hard disk (I assune you have only one hard disk). You should get the entire disk space raw,

5: Create new partitions according to your need and preferences. (After XP installation is complete you will have to format each of the new other partitions. Open My Computer, right click the partition you want to format. In the menu that opens choose format and start the process with the default parameters.).

6: Choose partition C to install XP on and start the process.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Okay .... I have 2 "rom" drives .... I have gone into the BIOS and made one the first boot device, but can't make the other one the second boot device, I'm assuming because it isn't found. However now when I boot the Computer up .... it takes me to a Gateway page that has the following information on it.

Copyright 1996-2000 Intel Corporation

Intel ® Pentium ® III processor, 933 MHz
512MB System RAM

Legacy Keyboard .... Detected
Legacy Mouse ......... Detected
USB Legacy ............ Detected

A: Drive Error
Press F1 to Resume

When I press F1 it takes me to the page that has this on it

Please select the operating system to start:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup

and then after a minute it goes to the page that has this on it

I've gotten myself into some weird Temporal Causality Loop right? Where's the cameras?
I know I'm on an episode of Star Trek: Next Generation

dog

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
We'll solve this (I hope). The best thing would be to remove the hard disk and install it as a Slave on another computer. While there, open My Computer, right-click the attached disk letter, choose format and format the disk. After this finished take it back to the first computer, connect it as Master or Cable Select and run xp installation.

Advertisements

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
You know the old saying "It's not a stupid question unless you don't ask it" right? Okay, here goes.

Can an IDE cable (gray wide flat cable) support 2 Hard Drives or do they both need a separate cable?

dog

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

Can an IDE cable (gray wide flat cable) support 2 Hard Drives or do they both need a separate cable?

Yes be sure you have the jumpers set correctly though.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Yes be sure you have the jumpers set correctly though

and those would be .... ? I know what the jumpers are .... but the settings are marked on the
back of the HD?

and if the jumpers are set the same then it won't read one of the drives right?

dog

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I can't seem to get the other computer to read this hard drive in slave position. I am using the same IDE cable as the one connecting the Master Drive in
the computer I'm using.

I have double checked the "slave" settings for the jumpers at Deskstar Support Jumpers Settings but it does not come up on the "file tree" when I "explore the drives etc... on the computer I'm using.

Any ideas?

dog

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Check the Master drive
Some drives have a setting for Master and some need to be set as master with slave
Cheers
peterm