Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is This Legal?

• Please log in to reply

staticVoid

staticVoid

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
hi, I recently downgraded to windows 98SE from windows xp sp2 home because I'm mentally retarded but the problem is I don't have a windows xp disk to reinstall it because my computer's manufacturer didn't give me the cd with the computer however the product key is still on the computer and I have all the manuals etc.
Is there any way I could download another copy of windows xp legally if I still have the product key?
because I've already payed for it and don't want to again.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I wouldn't recommend downloading it but if you could borrow a copy of the disk from a friend that would be perfect. It is legal. When you buy a copy of Windows it is the key that you pay for, not the disk.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One thing is what brand is the machine? Also, the installation files may be right on the hard disk if it has a C: and D: drive. Tell use the brand and model and we can help more.

staticVoid

staticVoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
the computer make is tiny and it does have a C: and D: drive but when i installed windows 98 I reformatted the drive.
where could I download a copy because I don't know anyone that has there xp cd or would loan me it.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Other than illegal p2p you will not find a copy just sitting in a website. You may be able to contact MS and tell them of the situation. I would ask around your work. Somebody has to have a copy...

staticVoid

staticVoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
but if I used p2p would it still be illegal if I have a valid product key?

could I not download from here: https://www.microsof...;displaylang=en

Edited by staticVoid, 04 October 2007 - 01:33 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That is not Windows it is only the service pack for XP. This is an iffy subject and I hope someone who has ran into the same problem will drop in.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello staticVoid...

The main problems with downloading from a P2P site is that you never know what "extras" are going to come with it and the OS may be seen as pirated software, which would leave you with a copy of XP that won't activate or update properly. Your best bet is to contact either the manufacturer of your computer or Microsoft and explain your problem to them. In many cases, they will supply the software to you at reduced cost.

wannabe1

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo,
unless you are a gamer, I would just install linux because you would still have to buy officeworks and yearly protection, and then microsoft wants you to upgrade to vista meaning that no one knows going to happen to XP, anyway, since one doesn't pay anything for linux, now would be a great time to try it out. thanks

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You will have to contact your system manufacturer for the install cd. As this is OEM, Microsoft won't touch it and will just refer you back to whomever built the system.

Also, simply by downgrading from XP, you may have completely voided the warranty on that system so you could be in "double-trouble" here.

Murray

Advertisements

staticVoid

staticVoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I was wondering about downloading linux but there are so many versions and I'm not that experienced in installing OS's but I take it I would have to burn linux to a cd with image burner software?
Does anyone no of any guides etc. to downloading/installing linux that are fairly simple?

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Didn't tiny go out of business a long time ago.
I just seen this in a newsletter, linux you can run from a pen drive !
http://www.computera...amn-small-linux

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Here is a sticky we have in our linux/mac os forums: http://www.geekstogo...ose-t38170.html.

The distro you choose should have fairly good instructions for getting it going.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, you don't even need to download the linux distro, just try wubi out(I am on kubuntu linux distro), choose the distro, then post your questions either here in the other forums or at their distro forum, here is the link then
http://wubi-installe...screenshots.php

If later you like the malwarefreeness of linux, the joy of having nothing hidden from you, the chance to learn how an os works,(oh and paying nothing for it or the future upgrades, officeworks and yearly protection) then download and install linux, actually I have trying to find a word better than "proprietory software"(meaning non open source) as it doesn't come across for what it is, I think "leaseware"(or "licenseware") gives a clearer picture then.

Edited by fleamailman, 06 October 2007 - 02:32 AM.

staticVoid

staticVoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I downloaded the iso for debain Cd1 and tryed to install it but it keeps crashing - the furthest I got was to about 69% where it was configuring selinux or somthing like that and it just paused - I gave it about half an hour then decided it was going nowhere.

Is there anyway I can copy windows XP from another computer? because I've got a laptop with windows xp which funnily enough never came with a installation cd either - (next time I buy a computer I'm demanding a OS CD).