Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

D-Link Cardbus Adaptor

• Please log in to reply

bassist4

bassist4

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi everybody.I have the need to use a cardbus adaptor in a rather elderly TOSHIBA 520CDT laptop.The adaptor is a D-Link DWL-650+ and the Tosh is running Windows 98.According to the literature,they are compatible.However,after installing the drivers etc.from CD,on inserting the card in the slot, the computer makes no attempt to acknowledge new hardware.In the control panel,under PC cards,both sockets are shown to be empty.The lights on the card dont come on either.The card is OK because I swapped it with one the same which I am using in another laptop,and it works fine in that.It actually seems that the card socket is at fault.Could this be the case?Any pointers gratefully received.Many thanx.

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi bassist4.

Let me get this straight: You have 2 DWL-650+'s and 2 laptops, right ?

If so:

Do both cards work in the one laptop ?

Do both cards NOT work in the 2nd laptop ?

One of the cards works in only one of the laptops ?

bassist4

bassist4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi my friend.Both cards work in one laptop(Compaq)Neither card works in the other laptop(Toshiba)The Compaq is running XP pro,The Tosh is running Windows 98.Does this help?

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
The Toshiba really should recognize the cards after the W'98 drivers were installed.

One possibility is that the slot is damaged.

Another is that the W'98 installation is damaged. This happens as a certainty over time with '98. A reinstall should be the next move if you really want to try to use the adapter.

bassist4

bassist4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've heard it said that this type of card and Win98 are incompatible,more than once,I might add.But the box says that they are compatible,or at least when it says Windows 98 then I presume thats what it means,and not 98SE.I may also have misled you.When I referred to the installation of drivers,I was referring to the CD ROM that came with the card,not the actual WIN98 drivers.Am I making sense?I value your input.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
The CD label should say what versions of '98 it can be used for - '98 and/or '98SE.
Which OS are you running ? Does it match what the label says ?

If the CD says it supports your version of '98 then I suspect a hardware incompatibility - just what you heard.

A new adapter is not that expensive.

ASUS WL-107G IEEE802.11g Wireless Cardbus Adapter
BUFFALO WLI-CB-G54S AirStation Wireless-G Has the best compatibility (84% 5-egg rating!)
BUFFALO WLI-CB-G54HP Wireless Notebook Adapter

These wirless cards should all be compatible with your PC. Keep in mind that all PCMCIA/CardBus devices have incompatibility problems with some laptops - that's just the way it is.

Check you wireless router or access point for 803.11a and/or 803.11g capability. Make sure the wireless card can support that mode.

Edited by WinCrazy, 05 October 2007 - 08:47 PM.

bassist4

bassist4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi again Win.I'm reading from the manual here and it seems that the processor should be 300 mhz or higher.the Tecra's is only 166 mhz.It has 32 MB of RAM as required.It has a 32-bit Cardbus slot.Would the difference in processors be the cause of the problem ie absolutely no recognition of the card?Thanx for your patience.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
If that's what the manual says, then believe it !

bassist4

bassist4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I do believe you're right,my friend.Many thanx.