Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My speakers have gone really quiet

• Please log in to reply

Fishmonger

Fishmonger

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi. My speakers have gone really quiet on my computer, they do work, but dont go loud enough for me to do my music editing which i have to do by this week for coursework.

I half expect that it is a program, or plugin, i have downloaded that has a volume bar on it that affects the entire system volume and not just the application volume, the trouble is i dont know what that program is :) , but it could be something completely unrelated

Is there a way i can find out why they have gone so quiet? the vista system volume says it is on maximum, but it is still much quieter than before. I dont think it is a direct hardware problem as the speakers work fine on my other computer, its probably hardware settings of some sort.

Edited by Fishmonger, 04 October 2007 - 01:57 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This has probably been toggled by some sort of 3D or surround sound effect setting with the program(s) that came with your sound card. Typically in a surround sound situation the sound is distributed evenly to all the connected speakers but if you only have two speakers you're only getting two fifths of the sound :) Check within your sound card configuration programs.

Fishmonger

Fishmonger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
cheers for the help, i suspect you are right in that it is one of the sound card programs, but i dont know what that program is. I used to use a small realtek program with various sound effects, but i dont seem to have that anymore on my computer.
The only thing i can tell about the sound is that it is usng a standard windows high definition audio driver, i cant seem to get into any actual sound options other than the sound menu vista gives you from the control panel, but that says the volume is 100%.

Maybe thats the problem, i dont have a soundcard related program to change the settings on the sound card?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi Fishmonger! Have you tried updating the drivers to the latest from the manufacturer's website?

P.S. We have a local fish and chip shop called "Fishmongers", not related to your problem, but I love fish and chips for dinner! :)

Fishmonger

Fishmonger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi Fishmonger! Have you tried updating the drivers to the latest from the manufacturer's website?

the trouble is i dont know what my sound card is. I look in the device manager under sound, video and game controllers, it just says high definition audio device, 'this device is working correctly' it also has some general information, but i dont think it tells me anything about my actual sound card. :)

driver version: 6.0.6000.16386
driver date: 21/06/2006
driver provider: microsoft

it also wont update, it starts searching for updates and doesn't stop, so i presume it has not found any new ones.

I need to find out what my soundcard is, can i tell via windows? or do i have to start undoing screws?

ps. if ur a big fish n chip fan FPVDriF6, ask for a battered pineapple fritter, my favorite!
pps. i am not a real fishmonger. just a fake one. lol

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Okay, let's try and get the low-down of what parts are hiding in that case...

Download and install Everest Home Edition
Run the program and then click on Report up the top.
Click Next, select System Summary Only and click Next, select Plain Text and click Finish.
Copy the second section of the report (Summary) and paste it into your next reply.

p.s. I am a big fish and chip fan, had it last night for dinner, and I wouldn't know what a battered pineapple fritter tastes like, my wife steals them off me before I can grab a bite! :) No, I have had a few before, very yummy!

Fishmonger

Fishmonger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hi. thanx for the help again, heres the everest scan you wanted. Thats a wicked little freeware program, thanx for showing me it :)

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Media Center Edition
OS Service Pack -
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name KITSON
User Name Greg

Motherboard:
CPU Type Unknown, 2878 MHz (7 x 411)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Intel Lakeport-G i945G
System Memory 2048 MB (DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (11/27/06)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS
3D Accelerator nVIDIA G72
Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB] (F1AJ6C0096112)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801GB ICH7 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
IDE Controller Intel® 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0
SCSI/RAID Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
SCSI/RAID Controller SCSI/RAID Host Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive MAXTOR STM3320820AS ATA Device (298 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive SONY DVD RW AW-G170A ATA Device
Optical Drive YO5810P KKJ558J SCSI CdRom Device
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 305242 MB (25690 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Network Adapter WPN311 RangeMax™ Wireless PCI Adapter (192.168.1.64)

Peripherals:
Printer Dell Color Printer 725 (Copy 1)
Printer Dell Color Printer 725
Printer Fax
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB1 Controller Intel 82801GB ICH7 - USB Universal Host Controller [A-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801GB ICH7 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-1]
USB Device Smart USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Printing Support

Problems & Suggestions:
Problem Disk free space is only 8% on drive C:.

--------[ Debug - Unknown ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HDD MAXTOR STM3320820AS ATA Device
Monitor XER038F: Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB]
Motherboard 63-133-0000010-00101111-112706-INTEL$C94GD133_CONROE945G-DVI BIOS P1.40
Motherboard DMIMOBO: ConRoe945G-DVI
Motherboard DMISYS: To Be Filled By O.E.M. To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Motherboard Unknown
PCI/AGP 168C-FF96: Unknown

i think thats everything that u will need, I left out all the offset values.
thanx

Edited by Fishmonger, 07 October 2007 - 01:05 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
http://www.asrock.co...e...945G-DVI&s=

Click on this link and download the audio drivers for Vista, it's the second one down.

Then install that and see if it helps any. If not, let us know and we'll keep looking at other options. :)

EDIT: P.S. Your Hard Drive is almost full, this can affect performance badly. Try cleaning up a few things, deleting temporary files, deleting files you don't need, uninstalling programs you don't use. If it's mostly stuff you want to keep, I strongly recommend using another hard drive to split everything up so this one drive doesn't have to cop the lot.

Edited by FPVDriF6, 07 October 2007 - 03:56 PM.

Fishmonger

Fishmonger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
SPOT ON! worked straight away. My sub is also working now. Thanx. :)

I presume as that driver was from the ASRock site that my sound card is built into my motherboard, does that mean i cant attach a new one? as i was planning to upgrade my sound card and graphics card. I'm also (as you reccomended) gonna get a new hard drive, i deleted some stuff off mine and put it up to 10% to be safe for now, i'll transfer half of it across soon.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Great! Thanks for letting us know you got it working! :)

Yes, the sound card is built in to the motherboard. This means that when you attach a new one (yes, you can) you will need to enter the BIOS and turn the old one off. It will work fine.

When you are ready, start a thread in the System Building and Upgrading section where you will get excellent help (from me and others) on which components to select. Upgrading a graphics card can sometimes be tricky because you need to make sure your power supply is putting out enough power for it. We'll let you know.

Cheers :)