Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP will not start up

• Please log in to reply

lavip

lavip

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
then it got stuck for hours...and when I rebooted the desktop picture will come up and the mouse arrow (which is moveable)...but nothing else. I was trying to run the necessary steps to get to the HJT part, but never made it. When I was running the AVG Anti-Spyware there were some infections.

How can I get the computer to reboot?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi lavip...

Does Task Manager open when you press Ctrl + Alt + Delete at the same time? If it does, click on the "New Task" button, type explorer.exe in the Open field, and click "Ok". Does this allow the desktop to load even briefly?

wannabe1

lavip

lavip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi wannabe1!

Thanks for responding! I did what you said and now the desktop comes up and when I reboot it gets stuck at the same place, but I can use the Task Manager to get to the desktop. Once I get to the desktop, will the computer run like normal? And how do I fix this...does this happen because my computer is infected with something?

Thanks again for you time and help!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
As the file seems to open and run as it should when it is asked to, this may just be a missing value in the registry. Try running a System Restore to a time before the problem began and see if the desktop loads correctly once the restore completes.

lavip

lavip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
sorry for the delay in response....right after my post I had a family emergency, I've been out and about for the last two days.....but continuing on.....

um....I don't have any other system restores because I cleared them when trying to do the steps to post an HJT log in the malware forum. But in running one of the virus checked the computer froze and then I couldn't get to the desktop, so I went to live chat and they recommended I post here. Now that I can get to the desktop each time I reboot with the task manager, I guess I need to continue to get to a HJT log. Would you still be able to help me with that or do I need to post in the malware section?

Or what else do you recommend I do?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry lavip...I somehow missed your reply...

Yes. If you can use the machine effectively, go ahead and start a topic in the malware forum. Post a HJT log for the experts there to analyze and wait (again) for a staff member there to reply.

lavip

lavip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Okay..thanks for all your help.