Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

several problems--drag & drop, "freeze," save settings

• Please log in to reply

lindakinda

lindakinda

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HI. This is a long message, but there are several seemingly interconnected problems and I have tried to be complete. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Computer went bad some time after download of a pdf converter file from the internet. Ran computer next several days, but got a couple error messages, then as tried to download Adobe Acrobat 8, it wouldn’t shut down. Shut it down manually. Tried various ways to get it to work, each time having to shut down manually.

OS reinstalled at Best Buy. Never has worked properly since then. Various error messages here and there, including a DrWatson one. Then, various problems would vanish. Did run two registry cleanup programs that have never caused problems for me. I had backed up my registry, and so reinstalled whatever the programs had deleted.

However, almost consistently since then, there are three issues. There may be more, but I have done next to nothing on this computer since I brought it home 3 weeks ago because of these ongoing problems.

1. I am using a Samsung SyncMaster 750s CRT monitor. The refresh rate is supposed to be set at 85 Hz per Samsung—I have checked this with them. The refresh rate would not hold after restarting the computer, whether I had set it via Control Panel / Display or by right-clicking on the Desktop to pull up the Nvidia menu.

I took the computer to Best Buy after I consistently could not get it to hold after shutting down. It held at Best Buy at 70 Hz, which is the highest rate their monitors can display. I brought it home, set it to 85 Hz, restarted the computer in the morning, and it was back to 70 Hz (but not the 60 Hz which it would always go back to before this).

I took it back to Best Buy, the tech had no problem getting it to hold at 85 Hz (I brought in my monitor). Brought the computer home, it still stays (2 restarts) at 85 Hz.

2. When I
a. right-click on the desktop
b. click Control Panel and then attempt to click one of the folders
everything is stalled—usually. I cannot get any folder in Control Panel to open. I cannot get the Nvidia display panel to do anything. If I then open Windows Task Manager via Ctrl Alt Del, I can click on anything. I do not have to close anything via Task Mgr, simply open Task Mgr. Then, if I go to Control Panel, I double-click a folder. It highlights it but does not open it. If I double-click it again, it will open it. With Nvidia, I can then click on whatever. I also cannot perform any other function until I open Task Mgr—for instance, I cannot use the Start Menu.

This has happened to me every time recently. At Best Buy, it did not happen. At home, it did not happen once; I shut down the computer, and then it happened again.

3. I cannot drag and drop any files whatsoever, whether folder to folder, within a folder, from Explorer to a folder, from a folder or Explorer to an external hard drive. At Best Buy, they could this last time. When I got home, I could not. Dragging and Dropping is enabled on the start menu.

4. Many, but not all, of the changes I made to MS Word 2007 via whatever the [bleep] they call the Microsoft logo on the left-hand side where you click and can go to Word Options have not saved. All the changes were made at the same time.

5. Sometimes, the computer will not shut down. It cycles endlessly in Saving Settings. This happened the first time I brought it home, and it has continued to happen off and on even if I have downloaded nothing, opened no files. I have turned this computer off manually many more times than I would have liked.

6. Best Buy ran a diagnostics on the computer when I brought it in, found no hardware problems.

7. I have my computer hooked up to a CyberPower battery pack / surge protector. I disconnected it from that and have it connected only to a surge protector. That does not change any of the problems I have been having.

I found the following on the internet:
http://en.allexperts...-Pro-file-2.htm
Finally actually found the problem and it's weird. Turns out my friend's computer Registry is missing the following entry:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTFoldershellexDragDropHandlers{BD472F60-27FA-11cf-B8B4-444553540000}

I checked three other WinXP Pro machines, all functioning Drag & Drop and they have this Reg entry. Hers is missing. Don't know why but a simple "New" entry and it's back in business. No info in any other forum or M/S KB I could find.

http://xperiencexp.b...-wont-work.html
The Resolution:-If some one faces the above problem in Windows XP then I shall suggest him to do the followings:-
1]Sometimes just a system reboot solves the issue.So try that first.

2]Check whether Drag and Drop is enabled or not.Right click on Start button>Properties>Start Menu>Customize>Advanced>Under the start menu items make sure the box against Enable dragging and dropping is checked.

3]If the above fails then try a System Restore.

4]If nothing helps,then type the following commands from the Run menu.:-

i>Start>Run>type in-"regsvr32 ole32.dll "(without the quotes)>press the Enter Key or OK.
ii>Start>Run>type in-"regsvr32 /i shell32.dll "(without quotes)>press the Enter
Key,or,OK.

5]Restart the computer.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Advertisements

sunmash

sunmash

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'm confused. Do you still need assistance?

'Cause near the end of your post, you posted a solution or suggestions to solving something.