Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp won't boot

• Please log in to reply

MaDDPsycho

MaDDPsycho

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm having a problem with windows Xp, i had lost power while i was trying to defrag my computer. Since then its been starting like i had powered down wrong, it goes to the screen where it asks if i want to start in normal mode or safe mode...etc. it wont boot in any option when it gives me the list to choose from for safe mode it freezes after gagp30kx.sys. i cant seem to figure the problem if anyone can help it would be appreciated. also i had recently removed some adware from the pc, im not sure if that could have a part in this

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
If you had System Restore functional before the problem began, try this:
http://forums.cclonl...read.php?t=1183

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Another option: perform chkdsk. Click My Computer. Right click local disk C. Click properties > tools > error checking > check now > check the two boxes > click start. You will be asked if you wish to run the process on next bootup. Agree and reboot. Let the process run to the end. In can be quite long, time depending on disk size and condition.

MaDDPsycho

MaDDPsycho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hey skeptic. that might be a good option but the pc wont boot at all. i cant even get into safe mode

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi,

You could try boot from cd, then repair windows that way? I have tried it once but i had a different problem, needless to say it did not work but it might for you.

check this link

hope it helps :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am sorry about my mistake. I read your topic too fast and mixed it with another that I read before.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Here I am again. For this repair you will need xp installation disk. Either the original or a borrowed one of the same version that is installed.

There are two options:

1: Repair through recovery console.To get to Recovery Console insert the disk into the cd drive and reboot the computer. Setup Windows screen will show up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and set the cd drive to be first priority boot device.

Let Setup run until three setup options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. When asked for XP installation type 1 (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a passwoed. A black DOS-like screen will show up.

At the prompt type chkdsk /r and press Enter. Let the process run to the end.

2: Repair installation of XP. You may use the link in my signature for a GeeksToGo link. I hope you will not have to run the repair because this procedure often ends up with many problems.

MaDDPsycho

MaDDPsycho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i finally got a hold of a windows xp disk and i started up the pc with it in, it never comes up with a recovery option, just an install part. and id rather not delete the stuff i have on the computer. im not sure why its doing this. also its saying i have my whole hard drive empty. i havent deleted anything and i dont know why it would say that. any suggestions would be helpful

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Boot from your Windows XP CD and press R to go into the recovery console. In there, type chkdsk /r. After that, just sit and wait. The scan will take time. Depends on how big and fast your HDD is. I just had this problem as recently as earlier tonight and that's how I fixed it.

Good luck!
-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

MaDDPsycho

MaDDPsycho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i have been booting from the windows cd, but it never gives me the option to press R or go to recovery, it asks if i want to go to the automated system restore (which requires some floppy disks) or setting up new BIOS or RAID stuff, then it just starts setting up windows and eventually goes to a screen that asks if i want to install it. i dont think i have the wrong disk but i guess it could be possible.

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Hm...that's very strange. In my case, I was using a CD that had an OEM version of Windows XP Pro (SP2) on it and it still gave me the option to press 'R' to get into the repair console. I honestly don't know what to tell you there, sorry. Hopefully someone else has an idea as to what's going on?

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi