Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help on building gaming pc

• Please log in to reply

thisoneroller

thisoneroller

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Im on a budget for building a gaming pc. And I only have about 800 dollars. I want to be able to play the latest pc games. What parts should I buy? I have a dvd burner and dvd rom drive, and monitor. So do not add those to the list. Appreciate the help.

Advertisements

t3hm4d0n3

t3hm4d0n3

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well if you really want to build a nicer system for less you can get open box items for a lot cheaper than you can new.
the only drawback to that is, it may not work, and also you usually don't get all the things that came with it new.

things vary from day to day, if you put the time into finding the best deals or waiting for a few weeks for something to drop
in price or to show up cheaper somewhere you can build a really nice fast computer for less than 800.

i would recommend getting a board with dual sli slots, and then i would recommend getting one of the newer video cards
for directx 10 support for the new games on vista (hopefully the dx10 ports come through for xp) but it will be worth
the extra for the increase in performance imho.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well what new games? If you want to play the new game Crysis you are going to need a little more then $800, maybe $1,000.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi thisoneroller! Okay well here's my suggestions, this is pretty much minimum specs you would want to be able to play the latest games. Currently the amount does come to over $800, but with rebates it brings you down pretty close. Also you would need to add an OS for this, Windows Vista is needed for the latest games as XP does not support DX10. If this is just too much, let us know and we'll start cutting away here and there a bit more where we can. :wave:

Cooler Master Case $39.99 ($29.99 after rebate)
Abit Motherboard $99.99
HIS Video Card $279.99
Antec Power Supply $119.99 ($79.99 after rebate)
Intel Processor $192.99
Patriot RAM $91.99 ($51.99 after rebate)
Seagate Hard Drive $69.99

Grand Total of $894.93 ($804.93 after rebates)

That looks pretty good to me, the only problem as I have mentioned is Vista is not included. If you want to play the latest games (and future ones) well and for some time, I wouldn't go too much less than this. Have a good look and let us know what you think.

Cheers :)

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
If you get Vista get Vista Home Premium. Home Basic is not that good.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you are looking to cut costs to work an OS into the price than the AMD side of things might be best for your. I had researched your situation when you first posted and forgot about it. Troy was pretty much on with I had but I picked out an AMD board/CPU as well as the 550w version of the PSU he selected.

Mobo: Abit 520 http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813127026 - $75

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 6000+ http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103773 - $160

Edited by Titan8990, 06 October 2007 - 10:55 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That PSU I suggested (650w version) is actually cheaper with the rebates, can't go wrong! I'm also not too sure about the AMD side of things, but Titan would, so his suggestions looks good.

So here is the AMD version:

Abit Motherboard $74.99
AMD Processor $159.99
Cooler Master Case $39.99 ($29.99 after rebate)
HIS Video Card $279.99
Antec Power Supply $119.99 ($79.99 after rebate)
Patriot RAM $91.99 ($51.99 after rebate)
Seagate Hard Drive $69.99

Grand Total of $836.93 ($786.93 after rebates)

To tell you the truth, I think the Intel system would give better performance for not too much $$$ extra. This saving is not a great deal, particularly when cutting on your processing power, and not enough to add Vista Home Premium and keep it at the $800 level...

Cheers :)

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Ya the Intel E6750 processor is faster than the amd am2 6000+.

They are close in general with basic applications but when you get into gaming the core 2 duo intel has a little gap above the amd 6000+. Quite abit noticeable gap.

Keep that in mind.