Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Dead

• Please log in to reply

steve farmery

steve farmery

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Please help I am really strugggling with this one. My pc was frozen when I came back from work, I rebooted and got the windows XP welcome screen then a blank screen and the boot stopped. Tried to start in Safe Mode, it loaded about 20 lines then stopped, when I tried safe mode again it only loaded 12 lines then stopped. Now safe mode wont boot at all, and continually attempts to re boot.

I put it into my other pc and this one immediatly told me I had a hardware failure.

I attempted to look at the disk with FDISK and initially it indicated the partitions, when I tried to see the disk with FDISK the next day it wont even recognise the disk at all anymore.

It is as if every time I try to do something it dies more and more.

Any ideas please?

Thanks Guys n Gals.

Edited by steve farmery, 05 October 2007 - 03:44 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have your windows disk? put the drive back in the computer and try running chkdsk from recovery console

• Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors
this probably won't SAVE your drive completely but it might buy you enough time to be able to backup any important data (like pictures, music, etc..)

steve farmery

steve farmery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks dsenette, I tried that and it says A disk read error occurred press ctrl alt del to restart and it wont boot from the cd rom even though I have selected this in setup.

methinks this is one fried drive... :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
quite probably....sorry for your luck! ehhhehe....i'd suggest replacing the drive...don't throw it away...you MIGHT be able to hook it up as a slave and save SOME data

steve farmery

steve farmery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
just put the new drive in and.......exactly the same problem, continual re boot when trying to boot from cd rom after the checking hardware message...maybe an MB Problem or could it be the bios?

steve farmery

steve farmery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
hello again, if anyone is interested of heard of this before, I do have a hardware problem, but the continual rebooting was my windows XP disk.....! I bought a new pc, put the XP disk in to change the op system to English and it showed exactly the same problem...
Now can anyone tell me how to get to my old documents and settings/Steve folder which is denying me access as it is passworded from the old Win XP desktop, I am running the drive as a slave in my new pc so cant access this one folder.

Thanks again Guys n Gals

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello steve farmery...

You may have to Take Ownership of the folder to recover it.

wannabe1

steve farmery

steve farmery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks Guys, so fast and so useful as ever..got to worth 20 Bucks of anyones money...in the post ( Paypal) as I type.. :)

Edited by steve farmery, 14 October 2007 - 10:10 AM.