Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pen drive problem

• Please log in to reply

uglymaggot

uglymaggot

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hello :wave: my pen drive is showing raw format not fat32 or ntfs
in my computer the icon appears but if i double click i get an error message to insert the drive
i don't want to format because there is information that i need so please consider formatting a last resort :)

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
uglymaggot,

This sometimes happens when the drive is not removed properly.

Data recovery may be possible but most of the recovery programs you have to pay for.

You may need to use some data recovery tools these are not 100% guaranteed. Admin made a great post on this back in 2004 had to use a shovel to dig it up. Some links may or may not still work.

http://www.geekstogo...overy-t386.html

To safely remove your pen drive you always want to use the safely remove hardware icon down at the bottom. I have destroyed data on a SDcard by not doing this.

uglymaggot

uglymaggot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
But how to access the pen drive as only the icon appears but if i double click i get a msg to format it what to do ???

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
uglymaggot,

The file recovery tools will be able to access the thumb drive.

uglymaggot

uglymaggot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
tuxmaster the pen drive cannot be formatted also the data recovery tools cannot access it.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Have you tried getdataback? that has worked well for me in the past and it says it supports usb drives.... make sure you get the correct one for your filesystem ( either fat32 or ntfs ) you can download for free and test to see if it finds anything before buying it.... if that doesn't work your best bet would be a professional data recovery place like Ontrack... just be warned that is VERY expensive....

--- edit --

have you tried the drive on another computer?

just a thought.

Edited by shard92, 18 October 2007 - 12:45 PM.

uglymaggot

uglymaggot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
ya i get the same error on other coms

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
If the Pen Drive can not be formated the Pen Drive is probably bad and the data unrecoverable.