Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Anti-Virus Software?

• Please log in to reply

dianab9311

dianab9311

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
My Norton subscription on my two desktops is about to run out and from long experience, I've learned that this is the best place to go for technical advice.

Every year Norton seems to get clunkier. Yet it also seems to be first in having updates to fight off viruses and other junk. The clunkiness has become particularly ridiculous this past year. Thus my curiousity about other potential anti-virus programs. I'm using McAfee on my laptop but as I rarely use the laptop, I have no way of really discerning how good (or not) McAfee is.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I use AVG Free Edition and have found it to be very reliable. You can download it here.

spoon007

spoon007

I R N0tSmRt

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
If you're going for a free antivirus:

i use Avast Antivirus and it is said to be one of the best. So many people have recommended avast over avg. avast detected viruses on my computer i didnt know was there! Avg never detected it. i recommended you use avast over avg since avast is free and all you have to do is register to get your serial and that too is free.

if you want to you can download avast from here:
http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

Trust me it ROCKS!

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

avast detected viruses on my computer i didnt know was there! Avg never detected it. i recommended you use avast over avg since avast is free and all you have to do is register to get your serial and that too is free.

And AVG has found some that avast didn't its the timing. I use AVG as well and find it does a great job but thats my opinion and others will think differently about it. They are both free give one a try and if works for you, you find it easy to use then go with it

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi, dianab9311 ...

I would also recommend AVG. When ti comes to free protection, I think it's the best move. For more opinions, try using the forum search feature. I have seen many topics asking the same thing you are. Who knows, you might find a tool you like more :)

spoon007

spoon007

I R N0tSmRt

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
yeah u know what now! i agree with you guys! i used avast for like one week and i noticed my computer was slowing down when i was gaming. you guys are right AVG is really good! I just reinstalled it today. Its faster so i can play games more efficiently !

harlan

harlan

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
avira works great for me. but there are plenty of others to choose from. whatever works for you. frank.

pengyou

pengyou

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have used AVG for the past 4or 5 years. Sometimes it is not always able to clean viruses but it has always detected them for me. When this happens I turn it off and install another virus program or tool to try to kill it - never have 2 antivirus programs going on your computer at the same time - they will fight with each other.

spoon007

spoon007

I R N0tSmRt

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
true pengyou...but you can have 2 Anti viruses...as long as one is deactivated and one is running...if both are running then they will conflict (or fight with each other as you said :) )

Edited by spoon007, 14 October 2007 - 07:41 AM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Since you have paid for Norton for years why not buy the best? NOD32 is fast, lite and has the best hit rate of any antivirus. I've used it to get the things that escape removal by other AV products. At less than $95 for two PCs for two years I think its also a bargain IMO.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

avira works great for me

You got that right!! http://www.free-av.com

NOD32 is good too, low on resources and nice detection. Kind of expensive though.