Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random Internet Disconnects (Only while Browsing)

• Please log in to reply

Noble Savage

Noble Savage

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, so for the last couple of months I have had a strange little problem. Whenever I am actively browsing the internet, either IE7 or Firefox, I will just randomly lose my connection. My network connection icon doesn't show that it's lost nor does repairing it fix it. I have to actually disable and then re-enable the connection to get it to work.

This only happens whenever I open a page. I can stay online for hours, download gigs of information non-stop or playing online games without losing my connection, but if I open up a browser and go to a page it just randomly drops. Sometimes it takes hours, sometimes it's the first page I open.

I've asked people I know, who are admittedly not experts, and they have no clue. I have two spyware programs and an anti-virus program, but none of them have found anything. I've googled the problem, but nothing I find matches what I have exactly. And I have already gone through the Malware removal process in this thread ( http://www.geekstogo...re-t171143.html )

Just to reiterate, this is a fairly new phenomenon (past couple months). I haven't changed anything in my system, or anything on my network. The connection never registers that it has lost it's connection and repairing doesn't work I have to actively disable and re-enable. There are two other computers on my network that don't have any problems, and it only happens when browsing. To the best of my recollection it happened around the time I downloaded Bit-Torrent. At least, that is the earliest I remember it happening. I have since then uninstalled it.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

sunmash

sunmash

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Try this...

When you lose your network connection or internet connection, go to Start, Run, and type
CMD

You want to load the Command Prompt window.

From there, type
ping www.yahoo.com

It should load something like this...

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping www.yahoo.com

Pinging www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net [209.131.36.158] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.131.36.158: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=57
Reply from 209.131.36.158: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=56
Reply from 209.131.36.158: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=57
Reply from 209.131.36.158: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 209.131.36.158:
	Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
	Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 39ms, Average = 34ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Notice where it says Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

That's a good thing. As long as packets are sent and packets are received, then there is a stable connection.

However, if there are lost packets, i.e. if the Lost = 4, for example, then you definitely have a connection problem.

So do that first. Load IE or Firefox, or my favorite Opera, and browse. Once you stumble upon the loss of internet, go to Start, Run, type CMD, then in the Command Prompt window, type ping www.yahoo.com

Come back and post a response with what you've discovered. From there, I'll try to determine the next appropriate step.

Noble Savage

Noble Savage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Alright, I browsed until I lost my connection and then did run->CMD then "ping www.yahoo.com". The result was "Ping request could not find host www.yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.

sunmash

sunmash

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Are you connected directly to a DSL or cable modem? Or a router?

Noble Savage

Noble Savage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm connected directly to a router. Also, this will probably help. When I was going to post here I experienced another disconnect but when I went to do my usual "Disable, Enable Connection) routine, I crashed and got a blue screen of death. I wrote down what was on it and here it is.

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Stop 0x000000D1 (0xEFD4FED0, 0x00000000, 0XF7857D5)

NDIS.SYS_Address F78527D5 base at F782F000 Date Stamp 41107eC3

Dislexsik

Dislexsik

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have exactly the same problem.
When i did run the test i had this:

Packets send=4 packets recieved =0 packets lost=4

I have cable connection.

Edited by Dislexsik, 02 December 2008 - 06:07 AM.

Drug Crazed Dropkick

Drug Crazed Dropkick

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a similar problem to this (Hey look, it's from 2 years ago).

I'm using wireless. I'll add in that using Steam's web browser (Which is accessed in game) doesn't cause a connection failure, and I think it's related to someone else being on the connection. It's been fine the past 2 days because I've been the only one in.

I haven't tried the ping thing, but I'll let you know the results when it happens again.

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
In the firs tpost that was done here I notice dthat you are running IE 7 now you nee dto upgrade to IE8 then reboot
this should sove the issue
if not do this is this a linksys router?

Drug Crazed Dropkick

Drug Crazed Dropkick

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Looks like the original poster has given up. I'm on latest Firefox and Safari though.