Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reinstalled 98 and lost sound

• Please log in to reply

justdhf

justdhf

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I did a clean reinstall of windows 98. Everything has gone fairly good but I can't get my sound. I have searched but have not had any luck. I have an HP Pavilion 4540. I know my video card, ATI VGA WONDER, but I know nothing about sound.

Thanks,
David :)

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you haven't added a sound card you probably just have to go to the HP website, put the model and operating system information in, go to the download page and get the drivers and install them. And while you're there get the chipset drivers and anything else that might improve performance.

justdhf

justdhf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Tyger, I looked around over at UP. Couldn't find much except driver for surf board and keyboard. I'll go back and look again.
Ran the Everest program and it said for audio adapter, I have a Rockwell Master Riptide audio controller. If that means anything.

David

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I just checked the HP site. The drivers you want are in the OS independent section.

justdhf

justdhf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Tyger, I have a problem with my navigating around HP site. I can't find the OS independent section. I found a section for the compaq presario 4540. I have a hp pavilion 4540. Is that the same thing?

David

justdhf

justdhf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you Tyger, I finally found everything you was talking about. It was what I needed. Thanks. I would have replied sooner but for some reason my PC is freezing at the beginnig of the Forum. I don't know why it started doing that. A new problem I guess. I am posting this with a msntv2.

Anyway, I appreciate the help you gave me.

David

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
http://h10025.www1.h...r...890&lang=pl

justdhf

justdhf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, I got it. I must have had my eyes closed before. If it would have been a snake I reckon I would have been bitten.

David