Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

whataboutadog

• Please log in to reply

pbr101

pbr101

• Pip
  • 2 posts
How to begin? I was cleaning a friend's computer 10/01 and found Zlob JN. Easily removed, did some spyware, adware removals and was ready to return it. Ran Hijack This v2.0.0.2 on 10/01 and found no major problems. But when I ran HijackThis 10/02 I found the registry key "whataboutadog" and "doginhispen". I did a google search and came up with the original HijackThis forum message advising using AWF. It didn't work. Since then google searches are turning up a significant number of sites addressing this. I have been looking into this and it appears the "payload" date of this file was 10/02/07 at 8:30PM. Almost all execution files running from the registry's start seem to be affected. Mcafee was the first to report this but offers no fix. AVG, Adaware SE and Spybot S&D
(all updated daily) don't even detect this as of this post. I have also run V-com SystemSuite virus detector and CA's Pest Patrol with no detection. This appears to be polymorphic in nature. I'll attempt a couple of online scans but it appears a Windows re-install may be the only answer. Any input would be appreciated.

Advertisements