Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with front-panel connectors

• Please log in to reply

sexmagik227

sexmagik227

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey there everyone, allow me to lay out the situation for you. I just spent about 700 bucks buying a whole deal of computer parts to make my dream machine. I purchased a Gigabyte S-series M61P-S3 mobo with AM2 socket(ATX form factor) for my AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ processor, 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 RAM(Super talent), a Western Digital 500GB SATA2 7200PRM 16MB harddrive, an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI-e graphics card, along with some other new hardware and a MicroX LA MidTower case w/ 450 W PSU. I already finished putting the mobo, processor and heatsinkw/ fan, RAM, graphics card, hard drive, floppy drive, CD-ROM drive (Im only missing a sound card, but the onboard one will do for now), connected the power cables on the mobo, and now im stuck b/c I cant get her to fire up. I'm having trouble with the front-panel connectors, as I cant seem to be getting the power sw, reset sw, H.D.D LED, and so on connected right. I followed the mobo manual for guidance on those connections and i connected the power cable but nothing :) I know I only need to get the power switch in the right pins so it can power up, but im having no luck. I already tried putting it in different pins to find the right one. the manual is here at this site http://www.gigabyte....mp;FileID=17737 ...I did get some life out of her earlier when i forgot to unplug the power cord from the back and i messed with the power switch trying to find the right pins and thats when some sparks went off in the PSU and there was an awful burnt smell after..i just hope i didnt jack up my PSU. but anyway...im just ticked that the manual is of no help.....so now im here asking u guys for help, im open to any ideas or suggestions..thanks

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Welcome to Geeks to go.

That PSU is done. Hopefully it did not cause damage to the rest of your system but it is very possible. Start by replacing the power supply. Get something of a high quality because as you have seen a PSU failure is not good. Something like this would be good for your needs: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817103942.

sexmagik227

sexmagik227

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
You really think so? you really think my PSU is done for? Thats some sad news but was expected...I checked out your suggestion from newegg titan, the only problem is im so broke with negative in my bank account, i have an old e-machines PC that has a power supply, i believe its a 400 W, do u think I could probably use that one to replace the one i jacked up in my new baby??

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
considering sparks flew from the psu, I think Titan might be correct. your problem might not have been the power switch also. if you installed the cpu and heatsink on the motherboard yourself, you may have made a mistake doing it and if you mounted the motherboard in the case yourself, try checking the standoffs. and it depends on what kind of psu is in the old emachines if it would work or not. open the case and post exactly what it says on it here.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
As a general rule of thumb, anything that flies out of a power supply unit other than hot air is not a good sign.

Don't put the eMachines power unit in, they're crap, you'll be setting yourself up for more trouble in six months, guaranteed. Beg or borrow a decent PSU from somewhere.

sexmagik227

sexmagik227

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I couldnt imagine doing something wrong installing the CPU and heatsink, the CPU slipped right in, and then i lowered the lever. I scraped that wax stuff off the bottom of the heatsink b/c i put some arctic alumina paste on top the CPU, and then i stuck the heatsink right on and clipped it down. However, I didn't even bother putting in standoffs b/c I had no idea about them(its my first PC I built), so i went ahead and did some research and went back and put in mainly brass ones and about 3 plastic ones, so now the mobo is lifted not touching the case. This got my hopes up and so I connected the power switch and then plugged the power cord, hoping for some kind of miracle for it to fire up, but no sign of life yet.. :) ..yea i know emachines arent the best quality and actually its only a 300 W when i checked it again, so yea im not going to test it....maybe i can use the PSU from my current PC, just to see if i can get some life out of it, idk but im pretty bummed out about this... im still reading and researching trying to figure out what i couldve done wrong. On my computer shopper magazine there was an article bout replacing mobo's and i was reading it and when I got to the part about connecting front panel cables it mentioned that those can "trip up even the experts" and that "a little trial and error may be required."

sexmagik227

sexmagik227

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well you guys were correct. All I needed was a quality power supply unit that could handle the stuff I had. I went ahead and purchased an Enermax Noisetaker 2 off of newegg and that got it fired up. So hats off to you guys. Now I can finally play those intense graphic games. Thanks again