Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi, [again]

I have to ask questions or you people get to complacent :)~~~~

I have had this issue since i can remember, i can download all the Windows updates etc, and they install fine, but when i reinstall windows [like now] any windows update file be it a hotfix or security update, under 1mb in size gives me an error "<path>/KB<whatever number>-x86-ENU.exe is not a valid Win32 Application. If the file is over 1mb, the update works with no problem what so ever. This is a new install of windows XP Pro.

Any takers?

Thanks

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
the download may have ended prematurely corrupting the file, try downloading it again. or if you have any spyware or antivirus software installed try disabling them during the download and install.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
It's a fresh install of windows, i have nothing on the pc, no winamp, no adaware, and i have not connected my modem so i have not been onto the net, nor did i put in any of the cd's except the one that came with the motherboard. so i am pretty sure it has no virus or adware. Besides that, i have a few files under a meg that just dont installl. they all completed ok. i downloaded them straight from the Microsoft website to so viruses could be eliminated from the problem.

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
you said you haven't connected your modem to get on the net yet? how are you downloading the updates from microsoft? also, when I said if you had any spyware or antivirus software installed I ment programs that block and remove viruses and spyware such as norton or mccafee. some motherboard cd's come with free trials of antivirus software like norton. and have you tried re-downloading the ones that didn't work? also if Windows firewall (in control panel) is enabled, try disabling it temporarily.

Edited by ViprXX, 06 October 2007 - 12:26 AM.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
I have a cd with all the updates on that i update regularly, i have a laptop that i use to connect to the net. if i download the updates again they work fine until i move them to a different location, like flash drive, cd etc. it's been happening ever since i can remember. i need a real g33k to fix this :) it's way to much PT to download all the updates again and remember here is South Africa we pay alot for our bandwidth, i have a 2gb cap and i pay R449. which is about $70. Alot of money for nothing in my opinion.

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
are you copying the updates from the cd to your hard drive then running them or just running them from the cd?

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Tried both :/ none works

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
ok so i searched the entire microsoft site and nothing, this sucks. it's not a corrupt file, something weird is happening and it sucks... :/ apparently it could even be because i did not download it with internet explorer. Who still uses that? :)

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Ok, so i used Internet Explorer to download the updates, and still nothing! Someone... Anyone?