Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC shuts down when I switch it on, 4 out of 5 times

• Please log in to reply

platinum gold

platinum gold

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,

Is this the right place to ask some advice on why my pc is shutting down
when i boot it up?

Basically, when I switch it on, if I don't hold my finger on the 'on button' (for a second or two), it will start to boot for 1 second then switch straight back off again.

This morning even the fact that I held my finger on the button wasn't enough to save me!

When it switches straight back off again, it won't start when I re-press the on button to get it on again unless I knock off the power at the mains for a good 6 - 7 seconds, and try again.

Sometimes, even when I have kept my finger on the 'on button', it hangs as its booting, the other day it even switched off on its own about 2 minutes later after seemingly starting up fine.

Usually though, when it works, it works fine, and won't switch off and I can leave it on for hours on end with no probs, its just the starting the pc up I am getting problems with now.

This morning it took me about 7 attempts to get it to stay on, it was just cutting out almost immediately after switching it on. Thats the worst its been so far, so I assume the problem is getting worse.

XP pro operating system, medium spec PC about 3 years old, well maintained with spybot ccleaner and adaware. Using FF browser, AVG anti-virus/spyware, zonealarm firewall,

Cheers for any insight on this matter.

Tony

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is strictly a hardware issue.

This can be caused by a processor that's duff, not seated properly or has been cooked through failure of your processor cooling fan. A power supply issue can also cause this behaviour.
It could also be caused by a fault with the power button on your case.

Alternatively some systems (Dell are good at doing this one) refuse to work if they think the system overheated the last time it was used. Usually a spell without any power connected sorts this out.

platinum gold

platinum gold

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Extra info: The system is 3 and a half years old, with a newer motherboard put in last year.

The on button is a springy one that isn't designed to stay in an 'on' position that I can tell.

Its a Q-Tec 450W Dual fan (gold) ATX PSU
The motherboard is a ASROCK K7NF2-RAID
Athlon 2500 Barton CPU with heavy duty CPU heat sink and fan working well

On taking the side of the case and powering up, I have noticed that the fan
on the underside of the PSU doesn't turn, whilst the one on the outside of
the case does.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Replace the power supply if its the one the machine came with originally. Q-Tec branded power supplies are cheap to buy, extremely noisy and some people will argue through posts on other forums that they are fire hazards, especially those made about three/four years ago.