Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! I see NOTHING on my monitor!

• Please log in to reply

chips1703

chips1703

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well, after having my Dell Dimension 2300 Desktop computer inundated with virus and all kinds of fake files, I thought that it was necessary to do a complete overhaul and reinstall Windows XP. The reinstallation went along without a hitch, but when I was done I was left with one small problem, which was the screen resolution very poor, at around 640 x 480 pixels, when I prefer 1024 x 768. Because of this everything on the screen was huge, you couldn't see full windows, and it was only possible to have 3 or 4 icons stacked up on the desktop compared to 7 or 8. So, I immediately go to Display Properties and attempt to change the settings but it didn't allow me. It said that it was a default monitor and it wouldn't allow me go further into the properties at all. So after fiddling around looking to see if I could fix this display problem, I came across the advanced properties and found the adapter tab. I thought going to the adapters would help because at one point in my troubleshooting I thought I read something about adapters being the remedy. So at the bottom of the window I found a little drop menu that said "Device Usage" and it had two options (Use this device (Enable)) and (Do not use this device (Disable)). Without giving it much thought, I chose the Disable option and clicked ok. It then told me that in order for the changes to take place I needed to restart my computer. This is where the problem occurred. As my computer booted up I saw the typical starter screens: the Dell Computers Logo followed by the Microsoft Windows XP Loading Up Screen. But after that the monitor went completely black. It stayed on, but it did not show the XP Operating System. So this leaves me at the point were I know have a fully functional CPU, but now I can't view anything because of this monitor problem I have. Absolutely any advice that could be tossed my way would be incredibly helpful. At this point I am kind of in a panic mode. Once again, thank you for your time and any help you may be able to give to me. My e-mail address is 'email removed' if you need to contact me. Thank You

Mike Cholipski

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi Mike, welcome to Geeks to Go! <_<

Restart your computer and begin tapping F8 on the keboard. When the menu appears select last known good configuration. Allow system to boot normally.

When back into Windows, go to Dell.com and download and install the latest video driver for your system.