Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MY DESKTOP AND ICONS AND TASK BAR AREN'T COMING UP!

• Please log in to reply

BabII_Simzz

BabII_Simzz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
well basically when i log in my taskbar and icons dont appear. when i try to press ctrl>alt>del, they say my task manager has been disabled. what can i do? i can only go on my computer in safe mode. please help me. :)

Advertisements

Madacake

Madacake

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Describe your problem a little more, and I maybe can help! :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello BabII_Simzz...

We've been seeing a lot of this lately and I suspect malware is the culprit. Because your Task Manager is not available, let's try a couple of things from Safe Mode.

The first thing to try would be a System Restore. Click Start, then All Programs, point to Accessories, then System Tools, and select System Restore. Choose to restore your computer to an earlier time and choose a date that's before this problem began.

Let me know if this helps...

It would also be a good idea to start a topic in the Malware Forum. Follow the instructions found HERE, then start a topic in that forum...include a HiJackThis log in your initial post. A malware expert will look at the log and determine if you have any nasties on there. Be patient, the malware forum is a very busy place.

wannabe1

BabII_Simzz

BabII_Simzz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
well, when i log in, nothing comes up. when i try to go to task manager this pop up comes up and tells me that is has been disabled. when i go to safe mode, no icons or task bar come up either.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have your XP installation CD?

BabII_Simzz

BabII_Simzz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
no. would i have to buy 1?