Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking to buy a new motheboard

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well you just might try that Foxconn motherboard, it could save your bacon. For the record, Foxconn have been in the industry for quite a long time, but only in the last few years started making their own motherboards. Previously, they manufactured parts for motherboards, meaning that you could buy a fancy new HP computer and find inside that Foxconn have made parts of the motherboard. So they do know their stuff. You can read up on them here.

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I just put in the order for the foxconn from tigerdirect.com, good god I hope this does the trick.

I do have a question though. Will I have to reinstall windows when I install the new motherboard? Or is there a way to just wipe off all the drivers and stuff that I installed for my current motherboard?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Seeing as it's the motherboard you're replacing, and the system is currently unstable, I would completely format the hard drive (good format, not just quick) and start again. It will most probably work, though, and just run through the "Found New Hardware" wizard for the new motherboard components, but it may just load an unstable version and you might think you've wasted your money...

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Alright thanks, I figured thats what I would have to do. Just needed some confirmation. I'll post back When I get the new board installed.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Okay, I've got the motherboard. But there is a big problem. I'm getting lots of conflicting information about which motherboard I actually received. The model number of the board advertised on tigerdirect.com and on the receipt was NF4SKAA-8EKRS but the model number of the board I received is NF4SK8AA-8EKRS. Also in the manual it doesn't mention supporting dual-core cpus but on tigerdirect.com it does. IM SO CONFUSED and don't know what to believe. Please help me out here.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello silly mortals,

I would believe what the Board and manual says. If you received a different model then advertised then I would contact TigerDirect and send it back. Your new mainboard supports a socket 939 Processor Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 type CPU.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey, so what happened? Has the new one fixed up your stability issues?