Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fixing XP machine that drops connectivity

• Please log in to reply

Johnny Pockets

Johnny Pockets

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Greetings!

Please not that I'm not presently at my Ma's computer, which I'm heading up the highway to try to fix tomorrow and doing some prelim research.

When her computer has been on for a while (and I think not touched...as in, it maybe goes into some kind of energy saving mode...though it doesn't hibernate), then she goes back to it, she gets "page cannot be displayed" errors in IE. However, she can still check the e-mail server for new messages (and I presume receive, though I'm not sure yet) without error.

I did a reformat and fresh install of XP a few weeks ago, and that's when this problem started.

A gentleman at her ISP says that he thinks it sounds like it could be a driver issue of some kind, where if it is going to power-saving mode, not everything is being "woken up" upon going back the the computer.

It is a no-name computer inherited, so I don't know exactly what components are inside. I'd like to try the driver update thing, I think, first.

Is there any quick and dirty way to assess what manufacturer's parts are running the comp? Is there any slow way? As of right now, I haven't looked inside, and can't be certain whether there's going to be any kind of identifying brand on all of the parts, though I highly doubt it. Any suggestions on this front?

I should note that this happened when I was visiting last. I was able to ping the modem, but not beyond it. Don't know if that'll help diagnose.

Also, any other ideas of what I should be looking at in solving this problem for her? She's a 75 year old lady just trying to learn how to use her new computer, and this is frustrating the crap out of her because she doesn't understand what the problem is.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Johnny Pockets! You can try downloading Everest Home Edition, it should help you identify components.

Cheers!