Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Computer won't start up right away

• Please log in to reply

etd0000hr

etd0000hr

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I just build a new computer and it won't start up right away when i press the power button. I have to press the power button at least 7 or 8 times for it to start up. I have a 500W PSU set at 115V and a MSI K8N Neo Platinum motherboard.
I have rechecked that cables and made sure that the Power LED/Swith where in the correct pin. Can anyone help.
By the way what is a Chassis Intrusion Switch Connector (JCASE1) i think this might have something to do with it??????? :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The chassis intrusion case connector is for cases that have a special cable which normally connects internally to a button inside the case. If connected, it alerts you on boot up, that the case has been opened at some point between the last shut down & this boot up.

This connector should consist of 4 pins (with one missing) i.e pin, gap, pin, pin. The last 2 pins here (ie the 2 that aren't seperated by a gap) should have a jumper over them if no intrusion switch is connected.

etd0000hr

etd0000hr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Interesting, my mobo only has two pins for the chassis intrusion switch connector... its an MSI K8N Neo Platinum...tell me more

btw I think my PSU came faulty :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If theres only 2 pins, then place a jumper over them.

You could well be right about the PSU but I would try something else first ie make sure it isn't the power switch itself that is the problem. Pop the front off the computer case & check the connection on the back of the switch. Also check the 2 wires for any damage & the connection at the motherboard.

If this all seems ok, try starting the system without using the switch - this means unplugging the soft power connector from the front panel pins on the mobo. Then use a flat bladed screwdriver to start it - just bridge the 2 pins briefly with the tip of the screwdriver & see if that starts the system. Obviously, I can't stress enough that you must be very careful not to make contact with any other part of the mobo when doing this. If you're not happy about doing it, then don't try it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I also would agee it is the PSU.

I've run into this numerous times. A power supply has a circuit that supplies 5 volts, called VSB for "standby voltage" that functions even when the PC is off. This is necessary that when you press the power button, the power supply will turn on...without that five volts, pressing the button does nothing. I think the circuit is faulty.

etd0000hr

etd0000hr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Im positive that its the PSU. I tried booting my new pc with my old PSU (couldnt get the processor to run because this PSU doesnt have the 4 pin for the processor) and everything worked fine.

I also plugged the old mobo to the new chassis to see if it were the chassis cables that came faulty, but it turned on just fine. Just wish i didnt have to wait a week to replace the PSU :mad:

thanks for your hlep :tazz: