Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot install hardware - Access is denied

• Please log in to reply

bryan84

bryan84

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I recently downloaded the hardware update from Windows Update for my laptop and it failed to install this (screenshot) and I keep on getting that error when i boot the laptop.

I even tried to get into safe mode, Admin account but still won't work. What can I do?

Windows XP Pro

Posted Image

Advertisements

d_may

d_may

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
:) services missing (Not set to Automatic)

Bryan 84,

It sounds as if you do not have service set to automatic. The first thing that comes to mind is plug and play (services.exe)
It sounds as if you are installing a mouse or keyboard of some kind. It is best to use the updates, if any from the manufacturer
than microsoft updates. Check with the manufaturers web site for the latest updates to your hardware.
To check to see which services are set to automatic, manual or disabled is to do the following:
type services.msc in the Run box. Do not use msconfig to disable services! I use the following web site to configure my services:
http://www.blackviper.com

bryan84

bryan84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi.

Thanks for your reply.

I even downloaded the official driver from the website but I still failed to install because of this Access is Denied problem. After googleing this, i notice quite a number also have the same problem with this permission thing. But I have yet to find a solution for it.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Does the touchpad work?
Is this a Vista or XP system? (this is the XP forum)
Johanna

bryan84

bryan84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
It was for my XP laptop. But never mind.

I have now decided to format after all.

Thanks.