Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Copied HDD and now xp logoff loop !

• Please log in to reply

scrooj

scrooj

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys,

I have a weird problem almost making me cry now :) .

I upgraded my laptop's hard disk from Western Digital SATA 60 GB to Seagate 120 GB (i'll clear later why i mention makes here).

Now because i wanted everything just the same way as it was on the current 60 GB Hard disk, i copied it completely to a new one but the [bleep] thing wont work :) . Norton Ghost drive Image etc. nothing seems to be giving what i want !

Being desperate to save all my existing programs the way they are without hassle of reinstall etc., i tried something weird to make things work which logically should work.

I took 120 GB and installed a fresh XP Install, now i copied the data (windows folder,programs files, documents & settings) from 60 GB to my regular PC using USB

Then i took this 120 GB off Laptop and connected it to my PC .

Next i delete the 3 freshly created folders and 120 GB (windows folder,programs files, documents & settings) with the ones i had copied from 60 GB

Now when i connected my 120 GB hard disk, it boots up and comes to the logon prompt.

Now when i enter my password, it starts loading user settings and then next it logs off :) .

I've read several forums by now and im unable to find any [bleep] solution to this unless some Angel steps in now to help me !!!!

Anyone with any ideas how to solve this issue out ???

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo!
Installing XP on the second drive was a good idea. Deleting system files and replacing them with old drive's files is where your system had problems. You are going to have to reinstall your programs, one at a time. You can copy data files without a problem, but you must go through program installs in order to associate the right paths everywhere.
Johanna