Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Product validation

• Please log in to reply

Soultazer

Soultazer

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello to all you nice people out there!

This is my problem: I woke up this morning and turned on my computer from Shutdown and while it was loading windows, it suddenly stopped and had an error that said services.exe cannot initialize component. I pressed ok and it was just a black blank screen that had my mouse. I rebooted a couple of times and that did nothing. I assumed that my Windows XP Pro SP2 Media Center Edition 2005 was corrupted. I inserted a Windows XP Pro SP2 disc and i used the automated system recovery to enter command prompt to perform a scan disk to see if there were any errors...there were and it was corrected. I rebooted and I tried again. Same thing happened again, I get the loading windows XP screen followed by a services.exe error (this happens before i even reach the log-on screen). I looked through this website and I found that a good way to fix windows without reformatting is by performing a reinstall only for the windows components. I rebooted my computer and I booted from the Windows XP Pro SP2 disc in hopes that it might possibly recognize my media center edition. I pressed enter to begin reinstalling windows (luckily it had recognized my previous version of windows as the media center edition), then pressed F8 for the license agreement. Then i pressed R to repair windows. Off it went through the installation screens and then I came up to the Windows XP Product Activation window. I entered the key on the side of my laptop...and it said it was invalid!!! I opened my box for the Windows XP Pro SP2 disc and looked for the license and I entered that in...still says it is invalid!!! In desperation I got a friend to help me find some keys online (Yes shame on me) but none of them worked!

BASICALLY my problem is that I cannot get passed the product activation window!

I hope someone can help me fix this

Just to clarify, I am NOT trying to get someone's product key for Windows XP that is NOT what i want. I already have two legit keys here and I just want to know why my 2 legit keys (one is XP Pro SP2 the other is Media Center Edition 2005) and legit CD (Windows XP Pro SP2) aren't working...its very strange

Thank you in advance!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Media Center product keys only work on Media Center installations.
Likewise, XP Pro keys only work on XP Pro installations. In the same vein, XP Pro OEM and XP Pro Upgrade/Retail keys are not interchangeable.
Technically XP Home is closer to Media Center than XP Pro but the product keys are still not interchangeable between these versions.

You need to start the repair again with the CD for your version of Windows. That is, if you have a Media Center licence, you need to do a repair with a Media Center CD.

Soultazer

Soultazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok thanks! But it seems that I am stuck in a loop with the windows xp pro installation how do i stop it?

Edited by Soultazer, 07 October 2007 - 10:20 AM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Boot from your Media Center CD.
Johanna

Soultazer

Soultazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ahh noo thats a problem! This version (Media Center) was put onto my laptop by silly Toshiba but i dont have the bootable cd...The product recovery disc is useless because it will reformat my hard drive and erase everything.

Thanks for the help so far! I think I can borrow a CD from a friend who has Media Center too. (Thats legal right? Because I have a genuine product key...)

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You may want to call the laptop manufacturer and see if you can order a cd from them. It will have the necessary drivers you may need.
Johanna

Soultazer

Soultazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok...I tried using a windows XP MCE CD. And it just did the same thing the XP Pro installation did. I cannot enter in a CD key no matter what combinations I try.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello Soultazer,

What is the Make and Model Of your computer? Or is it a custom Built one?

Soultazer

Soultazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
AH success I finally managed to enter the right key in!
Thank you to all for so much help in my problems!