Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Isass.exe problem

• Please log in to reply

jonnyb

jonnyb

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hello,

I have a friends pc and I'm trying to figure out why I keep getting a Isass.exe error (something about log in mismatch)

The pc will post then go to windows xp splash screen but will give me the error right before going to wondows.

What I have done so far:

I used a ide to usb adapter to hook up the hard drive to my laptop

Ran 2 norton scans (found a bunch of viruses ranging from low to high)

Ran adaware which found a couple more things (malware)

I wanted to run windows clean up or atf cleaner but it doesn't let me choose the drive that I need

Placed the hard back in the pc and tried to boot it but got the same error message

Hoping this will be a easy pain free fix :) but not likely

Is there a chance this is a lsass problem and not a Isass virus???

Edited by jonnyb, 07 October 2007 - 07:10 AM.

Advertisements

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

jonnyb

jonnyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
ok

The error message I'm getting is lsass.exe (with an L)

lsass.exe error

"when trying to updated a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is incorrect"

there's a ok button on the screen but the pointer is frozen and the pc reboots in a couple of seconds

I tried to do a repair with the windows xp disk but it didn't work

where do I go from here???

Edited by jonnyb, 07 October 2007 - 11:19 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What is the exact error message you are getting?

jonnyb

jonnyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
The message is in my last reply in the ""

I made a BART PE disk and I think I'm in the system but need to know where to go from here

Edited by jonnyb, 07 October 2007 - 11:58 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I would follow the directions in Don's Post.

I have looked into your post a I can look like a l in the error messages. We still do not want to do anything until you have your computer checked out by them.

jonnyb

jonnyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
the problem with that is the hard drive will not boot into windows and that would be a big problem for most of the malware/virus removal troubleshooting.

I found some useful information on another post in geeks forum on lsass problems and took it from there.

my problem is now fixed and you can close this topic

I've run virus and malware programs and they are all clean

Thanks for your time

Oh, and incase someone has this problem and needs to know how I resolved it, just check out this link.

http://support.micro.....Ben-us;307545

Edited by jonnyb, 14 October 2007 - 01:29 PM.