Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mcods.exe problem

• Please log in to reply

drburdi

drburdi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
On one PC running WinXP-Pro my CPU usage is 100% and shuts down after 1-2 minutes possibly due to overheating. Going into Task Manager and deleting mcods.exe or running in Safe Mode-Networking solves restarting problem. Contacting McAfee support tells me that mcods.exe is not their file even though Google search points out that the problem comes from McAfee trying to run a scan, which as far as I know is not doing so on my PC.

Have same programs on my notebook and notice that CPU usage is not high until I ran a scan. This computer has 1gb ran versus the above desktop PC only having 256mb. There for I suspect that my real problem can be solved if I up my ram amount. Did anyone try this solution or others to solve the problem with mcods.exe?

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Of course things will be better with more RAM. I like Crucial for information: http://www.crucial.com/ No need to buy from them to use their tools. Get matched pairs, and bump up to at least 512. 1gig is better.

The real problem is McAfee. Along with Norton and Zone Alarm, these 'giants' have added so much stuff to their programs that they start to take over a system. I believe that there are choices that do the job better with less of a footprint.

Like one pundit said, "I don't mind a footprint, just not on my neck!"