Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restarts at Windows Login Page

• Please log in to reply

Totally Frustrated

Totally Frustrated

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hello,

When starting up, my computer reboots itself at the Windows Log-In page. After disabling the automatic reboot option, I get the "blue screen of death" stop error screen with a note saying "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

The last thing I did before this started happening, which was yesterday, was update my java program (JAVA 6 Update 3) and also set-up a new Belkin N1 wireless router. I've tried System Restore to a checkpoint previous of these actions, but to no avail.

Please help :)

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello,

Are you able to get into safe mode? To get into safe mode you turn on your computer and start tapping F8 and choose Safe mode with networking.

Totally Frustrated

Totally Frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I can get into safe mode but I can't get into safe mode with networking. When I choose the safe mode with networking option, the computer reboots at the login screen.

Totally Frustrated

Totally Frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Just another note...I went into safe mode to perform the System Restore and also ran a few spyware programs (e.g., Spybot S&D, Adaware) and removed everything that were found.

FYI...I'm using another laptop computer for internet access, since I can't get into windows from my desktop. I can connect to the internet wirelessly through the new router that I just installed.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Totally Frustrated,

What is the Make and Model of your Computer? If custom Made give me the make and model of your Motherboard.

Totally Frustrated

Totally Frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
It is a Sony VAIO, VGC-RA710G. There were no custom changes made to the computer.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Totaly Frustrated.

In safe mode.

Go into device manager. (Click on start Click on run type in devmgmt.msc.)
Click on the plus sign next to network Adapters.
Right click click disable on your Intel Network Card.

Restart the system does the computer start normally?

Totally Frustrated

Totally Frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Okay, I've followed those instructions--i.e., disabled the network card in safe mode and restarted the system. Computer still crashes at the windows login screen with the same error message.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Totally Frustrated,

Lets go ahead and do some clean boot troubleshooting.

Here are some instructions on how to do Clean boot troubleshooting

Totally Frustrated

Totally Frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
In safe mode, I've went into the system configuration utility dialog box and followed the steps listed on the link you provided. However, I only got to the end of Step 2 and when I click "Restart", the computer still crashes at the windows login screen.

Should I go back into safe mode after restarting? I tried doing that, but I didn't get the message shown in Step 3. So I'm just wondering if each of these steps should be performed in safe mode.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Totally Frustrated.

Yes Please.

Totally Frustrated

Totally Frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Okay, I've done steps 1-3 and the computer still crashes. Step 4 gives steps to perform IF windows started normally without the problem occuring so I didn't go through those steps since the problem still exists.

Before I perform Step 5, I just wanted to get confirmation, since there's a note saying that all restore points will be removed. Should I go ahead with Step 5?

Totally Frustrated

Totally Frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
okay, the steps of Step 5 seemed to have worked. I went into the system configuration dialog box and unchecked "load system services" and was able to get into windows normally (all other boxes were checked).

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Tottaly Frustrated,

OK it seams as if one of your services is causing your issue.

Are you able to connect to the internet on that system at this point?

If not go back into msconfig.

Click on the services tab.
Click Enable All.
Click on Hide all Microsoft Services.
Click on Disable all.
Check on the first 5 Restart See if you can boot.
Repeat with next 5 until you are unable to go into windows normally.

Tell me what 5 services you checked that causes you not to be able to boot into windows.

Edited by tuxmaster, 08 October 2007 - 07:30 PM.

Totally Frustrated

Totally Frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I'm still unable to connect to the internet, even after going back into msconfig and following your steps.

Just an FYI...I've tried rebooting in normal mode and was able to get back into windows without the system crashing. I also went back to enable the network card from your earlier instructions. However, I noticed that my device manager opens up with no "devices" listed--i.e., it's empty.