Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop links missing after SDFix and ComboFix

• Please log in to reply

Invisible

Invisible

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

I am fixing a dell laptop (windows xp service pack 2) because it has many trojans and malware

Originally I use ad-adware and it removed a lot of infected registry values, but later on I ran SDFix in attempt to remove more, and also did "combo fix". Combo fix scanned through the entire system and remove a ton of files in safe mode.

After that, it prompts me to reboot and so I did. When it comes back up (either in safe mode/normal mode), none of the desktop links will work. Typing "regedit" and "cmd" in the run window prompts with the standard window of "not knowing how to handle this extension, select from the following application". It complains it cannot find rundll32.exe and others ... but they are there on the hard drive.

also, opening up my computer, double click on c:, nothing happens, in order to browse, must right click and select open

I think some link file is missing, but yet don't know which one. Please help~!!!

Note: I cannot launch system restore also ... it complains it's being prevented to start with.

Thanks.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Are you able to launch any program? You still may have some leftovers from malware so we want to get you checked out by the malware people. They often times need to start programs though.

Invisible

Invisible

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I can launch all the programs, but only in the actual exact path

Any shortcuts that I used from Desktop, start menu, even using windows explorer is not working

To browse through the windows directories I must use right click->explore, double click on the left doesn't get me anywhere. :)

More importantly, checking the properties from the shortcut, it is pointing to the correct target, but the icon of the shortcut is the "unrecognizable" icon, instead of the usual one. I suspect some links or even registry is corrupted. Any recommended tool for registry repair?

This all happened while I was cleaning up trojans using combo fix. Any known defect with this program?

If directed to another thread, please copy the link. Thanks very much!

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Invisible,
When using automatic repair tools it can sometimes provide unexpected results in the computers configuration.
Have you already talked to our Malware folks?

Unfortunately the only way reset icons on your desktop is to recreate them.

To recreate My Computer,My network Places, My Documents and Internet Explorer icons and put them on your desktop.

Right click anywhere there is not icons on the desktop.
Click on properties.
Click on Customize Desktop.
Uncheck all the check marks in Desktop Icons.
Click ok.
Click Apply.
Click Customize Desktop.
Recheck the Icons that you want to be displayed on your desktop.
Click ok
Click apply.

And for the rest go to the executable of the program you want on your desktop.
Right Click on the icon
Click on send to.
Click on Desktop Create Shortcut.

Invisible

Invisible

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I think somehow during the process combo fix must have cleaned the registry/delete files more than it needed ...

Anyway a solution for this was to re associate all the "file extension" by adding the appropriate .reg file again

courtesy of this:

http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm

I "re-add" most of them, such as ".lnk", "directory" and etc, and everything on desktop/start menu can be launched again.

Thanks for the help!

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Nice Link. Thanks I will add it to my Vast Bookmarks of 100+ Links on how to repair computers, and never be able to find it again. :)

Just curious what one did you run.