Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System continues to shut down.

• Please log in to reply

Lacie

Lacie

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
It's NOT the fan. My cousin has already checked that out. I got the BSOD and this is what it had on it:
0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0xf8ee1c86, 0xb8285cb0, 0x00000000)
It also had some stuff about BIOS updates and memory options.

Then I went to the manage/events thing on safe mode and it said a lot of stuff about "Service Control Manager" , "DCOM" , and "W32Time".

I have no clue what any of this means. My computer always shuts down unless I reboot into Safe Mode. I have to use my cousins laptop to look this stuff up and I can't stay on my computer (Windows XP) long enough to see anything. I've scanned it for everything possible and I just don't know what to do. The longest it's stayed on it more or less 10 minutes. Then it restarts. At the moment, it's in safe mode. Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
We want to run the offline crash diagnostics to get a quick snapshot at what could possibly be the problem with you getting Blue screen error messages.

First we want to download the offline crash diagnostic. You can obtain that here
Now we want to Run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool
After you save the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file, follow these steps:

1. Double-click the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file to install the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
The installer adds the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool files to the %Windir%\Pchealth\Helpctr\Binaries folder.
2. Click Start, click Run, type [i]ocadiagnostic.exe[/i] ,and then click OK to run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
3. Agree to let the tool send information to Microsoft. Then, click Next.
The tool performs the following tasks:

• The tool determines the number of dump files on the computer.
• The tool finds any dump files that are located in the %Windir%\Minidump folder. You can choose to send all the dump files, or you can choose to send individual dump files.
Note The last 10 dump files to be created are collected. Dump files are not collected if they are more than one year old.
• The tool automatically sends the dump files to the Office Crash Diagnostic Microsoft database Web site for analysis.
• The tool downloads the response URLs.
• The tool displays the response IDs. The tool also provides hyperlinks to the Office Crash Diagnostic Web site.

Go ahead and report back the Responce IDS with your next post.

drburdi

drburdi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
It may be the kind of problem I have with 100% of CPU being used and causing restart probably due to cpu heat. Check out Task Manager (cntl+alt+del) to see if this is the case. If so need to find which program is causing too much cpu usage. In my case it is McAfee's mcods.exe, which I deleted until I can find out a solution since it reloads upon restart.

Lacie

Lacie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok. I'll try the second response first because I can't stay on my computer long enough to download ANYTHING. Like today, the max time of it staying on is about 1 and a half minutes tops.

Lacie

Lacie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I downloaded it after I terminated some processes and rebooted in safe mode but when I tried to run the ocadiagnostic.exe program, it said ordinal not found it dynamic library or something like that.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Lacie,

Click on start.
Click on run.
Type in msconfig and press enter.

Click on Services.
Check Hide all Microsoft Services
Click on Disable All

Click on startup
Click Disable all.

Restart your system.

Tell me If you are still able to get on the internet. On that computer.
You will need to uninstall and reinstall Mcafee. The preforming the actions above is what is called a clean boot. Go ahead and tell me if you are able to use the computer more with those actions preformed. We will also probably have you headed over to our Malware Section after I partly stabilize your computer.

Lacie

Lacie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
It says "The ordinal 6868 could not be located in the dynamic link library MFC42u.DLL." and I don't remember having anything called Mcafee...

Edited by Lacie, 10 October 2007 - 03:32 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Lacie,
The above instructions were only to get you on the internet.
Are you able to get on the internet on this computer now?
There is still a bit more troubleshooting to go.

Lacie

Lacie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
While it's on normal and running, yes.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
We want to run the offline crash diagnostics to get a quick snapshot at what could possibly be the problem with you getting Blue screen error messages.

First we want to download the offline crash diagnostic. You can obtain that here
Now we want to Run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool
After you save the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file, follow these steps:

1. Double-click the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file to install the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
The installer adds the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool files to the %Windir%\Pchealth\Helpctr\Binaries folder.
2. Click Start, click Run, type ocadiagnostic.exe ,and then click OK to run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
3. Agree to let the tool send information to Microsoft. Then, click Next.
The tool performs the following tasks:

• The tool determines the number of dump files on the computer.
• The tool finds any dump files that are located in the %Windir%\Minidump folder. You can choose to send all the dump files, or you can choose to send individual dump files.
Note The last 10 dump files to be created are collected. Dump files are not collected if they are more than one year old.
• The tool automatically sends the dump files to the Office Crash Diagnostic Microsoft database Web site for analysis.
• The tool downloads the response URLs.
• The tool displays the response IDs. The tool also provides hyperlinks to the Office Crash Diagnostic Web site.

Go ahead and report back the Responce IDS with your next post.

Edited by tuxmaster, 16 October 2007 - 09:24 PM.

Advertisements

Lacie

Lacie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I got the same problem I had the first time. When I went to run "ocadiagnostic.exe", it said "The ordinal 6525 could not be located in dynamic link library MFC42u.DLL"

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Is your system completely up to date.

Run windows update by going to http://update.microsoft.com And click on express.

Lacie

Lacie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
It's up to date.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
lacie,

You do have XP SP2 installed is that correct?

Lacie

Lacie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes I do. It hasn't restarted for at least a day. I don't know why it hasn't cause I haven't done anything differently.