Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't start up

• Please log in to reply

etd0000hr

etd0000hr

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I built a new pc, at first i would have to press the power button 7 to 8 times for it to turn on. While i was preforming a sound check the computer automatically turned off and it won't turn on. At times it glitches, like its about to turn on then shuts off. I have a 500W PSU set at 115V but im not sure if the power supply is the problem :tazz:

Advertisements

Salient

Salient

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
These can be some of the toughest problems to troubleshoot- it can be alot of different things or maybe a combination of them. The only sure way is through trial and error using a process of elimination (if you don't have any testing equpment like a multimeter ...etc).

The easiest thing to check first would be the connector from the power button (CASE) to the proper connection on the board and make sure it's not on backwards or halfway.

The power supply would be a good place to start as you stated.
(Did you plug in the +12v P.S. Molex into the +12v connector on the board next to the CPU?)

Possible grounding problems also come to mind, like the board against the case. Check that the standoffs are placed properly for the board type & that the board isn't grounding out against the back of the case -side towards the I/O shield.

Check your PSU connections to the board ... take out the RAM and re-insert it (paying close attention to the slot numbers to be used) some use slot's 1 & 3, or 2 & 4 some use 1 & 2.

Is this an AMD or Intel system? ... what brand is the PSU and motherboard?

etd0000hr

etd0000hr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
AMD Athlon 64
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
PSU: Ultra X Connecter 500W

I pluged in the chassis wires to my old mobo and it turned on that mobo with no problems (of course using my old PSU). My old PSU was also able to power up my new MSI mobo but since the PSU is an old one, it doesnt have the 4 pin connector to turn on processor. But the old PSU was able to turn on the 80mm fans, cd-rom, floppy drive, in which the x connector could not. I should recieve my new PSU within a week. I just hope that was the problem so i can start using my new PC

keep your fingers cross

thanks for the info :tazz:

Salient

Salient

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I would say that was the problem then ...
I have probably purchased 12-14 PSU's so far building systems, and have had to RMA back at least 2 to the manufacturer or retailer - so it does happen.

The power supply is very important to the health of all of your components. There is no component it doesn't effect or that does not make use of it directly or indirectly. Buy a reputable one with good user reviews - and go for a model with 2 fans.

newegg.com is the best online retailer you can buy from - i don't work their and get absolutely nothing from telling you that, other than knowing i helped you. They stock excellent components, have a great return policy, and usually get it to you in 3 days.

Look through their PSU's and their prices. Or bookmark it for next time.
http://www.newegg.co...talog=58&DEPA=0

I use Thermaltake PSU's with great success. :tazz:
http://www.newegg.co...-153-009&depa=0

etd0000hr

etd0000hr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
lol don't worry, i purchased all my hardware on newegg <<best site ever!!! :tazz: